Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   PFaff versus Bernina (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-versus-bernina-t218005.html)

sandy l 04-02-2013 03:29 AM

I have a Pfaff QE4. I also have a love/hate relationship with it. Love the IDT, hate the not having a hand lever for raising and lowering foot. I use it to piece with, and apply binding after I'm done quilting on my Voyager 17 and that's all. I also do a lot of PP, but found the my older Brother was best for that.

quiltstringz 04-02-2013 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Patti25314 (Post 5971006)
If you are only looking for sewing and quilting (not embroidery) be sure to look at the new Bernina 710. It is affordable for a big machine. I agree with mltquilt about dealer support.

Ditto - The new 7 series has I believe a 10" throat, even feed (IDT on the pfaff) and a mega huge bobbin!

Lucio 04-02-2013 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by cindyw (Post 5971494)
I have a Pfaff QE4 and would not buy it again. I have spent hours trying to use it to quilt and no success. The name of machine is Quilt Expressions - why won't it quilt? There are quite a few stories about this machine not working for quilting. I love it for piecing but that's not why I bought it.

I also have this machine and it just sits in it's box because this made in China machine is a piece of junk. I bought it because I just loved my older 7550 Pfaff which was made in Germany. Big mistake!!! I can't sell it or trade it in because no dealer wants it and I couldn't in good conscience sell it to a private person.

grammysharon 04-02-2013 09:33 AM

I have the Bernina 830. I think the 830 has 800+ stitches built in so you can do all kinds of decorative sewing. I now love it but use it the way I want to. I don't like the BSR feature, but I do a lot of FMQing on mine and it works great. If a quilt is larger than double size I send it out to a LAQer. I will say it took me awhile to make friends with the machine but now I love it!!!!

IraJane 04-03-2013 03:15 AM

I also love my Bernina 1230, so much that I went on-line and bought a second one so that I have it to take to classes instead of having to pack up the one I use all the time.

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5970846)
You might want to look at where the specific model is manufactured. I know that only the higher end models of Bernina are still made in Switzerland; the others are made elsewhere. I think new Pfaffs are made in China. This may or may not make a difference to you. I have a Bernina 1230 that I love and will keep on using as long as it (and I!) last. Here is another thread about different machines and where they are made:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...es-t65966.html

tildiemae 04-03-2013 03:22 AM

I agree with mltquilt...I love my Bernina 830 too!

Pat Thompson 04-03-2013 03:29 AM

I have a Pfaff Expressions 4.0 and love it.

callen 04-03-2013 03:52 AM

I have the Bernina 820 & it scared the heck out of me at first but wouldn't do without it now. Harp space, BSR, huge bobbin. has a feature that counts down the amount of thread left on your bobbin & lets you know when thread is getting low. It is quality from top to bottom but it is NOT a machine to travel to classes as it weighs a ton. One big feature for me is it is not made in China. Be aware of where your machine is made!!! Love my Bernina.

sewbelle52 04-03-2013 04:12 AM

At one time I had both Bernina and Pfaff, each from a different dealer. Found the Pfaff 2170 harder to learn the embroidery unit. And when the Pfaff quit working after 4 years of very limited use, the dealer was awful. Wound up having it sent to Pfaff in Atlanta and it cost me $675 and 4 months to get it fixed. Traded it for a Babylock and never grace the door of the Pfaff dealer. Yes and this was in the wonderful city of Paducah, KY!! LOVE my Bernina and my Babylock machines!!

Cogito 04-03-2013 04:13 AM

I have a Bernina 1130 and love it! I have never had a repair on it and I have been seeing them sell on eBay for $800-$900. I just smile because I would never trade in my 1130. I own numerous vintage straight stitch electric and treadle machines as well that are wonderful machines. I do dream though of having one of the new Bernina 7 or 8 series machines. But wow, the cost! I will never buy anything else but Bernina.