Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-question-t182856.html)

Buckeye Rose 03-15-2012 09:08 AM

When do many identical blocks, I will do one block till completed so I understand all the instructions....way easier than doing all 60 blocks and find out they were all wrong! When I have the first block done to a point that I am satisfied, then I will chain stitch all 60 blocks, step by step

ube quilting 03-15-2012 02:05 PM

I like to make my quilts one block at a time because If I made a mistake in cutting or color choice it shows up in the first few blocks and I can then make adjustments with out having cut a whole quilt wrong or used wrong colors.

Sometimes it helps me decide if I actually like making the block. By doing them one at a time there is less time spent on discovering all these things and alows me to enjoy the quilt making as it grows row by row.
peace.

annies-best 03-15-2012 02:11 PM

me too............. but sometimes on a complicated block it is easy to get a piece in wrong that is when i do all them at one time making sure each piece is correct then doing all of them then move on to the next piece

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 5062366)
It depends on my mood and on how complicated the block is. If it's a new block, I often make a tester block just to verify the design and cutting instructions. Does it have matching points? Does it require a scant vs. regular seam allowance? etc. Then I like to break the project into the individual steps. Cutting all the bits and stacking them in order. Sewing all the pieces one step at a time. For very complicated blocks, I usually work them start to finish on each block. I have gotten things turned around in strip-piecing so I am now more careful.

quiltsRfun 03-15-2012 02:30 PM

It depends on the complexity of the block. The harder the block the more likely I am to do one at a time.

Dolphyngyrl 03-15-2012 02:52 PM

I do the second one all the way through all the blocks

Just Me... 03-15-2012 03:10 PM

I chain piece each element then chain piece the parts together. It goes soooo much quicker!

calano1 03-17-2012 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5061638)
I do them in units and might not have an entire block finished for some time

I do mine like Holice ...quick and easy! :)

leevenora 03-17-2012 03:15 AM

Same here, make first block, then piece the rest in stages.

QM 03-17-2012 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 5061668)
I also like to make a whole block as a reference and then do them in groups. There's something about seeing your quilt go from one block to a whole row to a third, to almost done. Boredom has birthed many a UFO.

I agree with Ginger. The person who taught me to quilt said some are "process oriented" and some "product oriented". Those of us who are more concerned with the product want to see how blocks and rows are turning out. Preocess oriented people are more likely, for example, to chain all the 4 patches, then go to the next thing. Those people may be more inclined to enjoy mystery quilts, according to my teacher.

jitkaau 03-17-2012 04:29 AM

I generally chain-piece and so I have a production-line approach. The sewing is done in fast time and there is not much wastage of thread.