Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-question-t182856.html)

IdahoSandy 03-17-2012 08:05 AM

The quilt I am working on right now, Tessellation Blues is in McCalls Quilting magazine Jan/Feb 2012. I have to put together 4 sections to make one block. Also the next row block, the block is incorporated into first block, so have to be careful with each section as to the color I use. Hope I haven't really confused you.
I like to piece one block at a time usually, but with this quilt you have to think what color for each block of next row.

margecam52 03-17-2012 08:40 AM

Like the others who replied, I do one complete block, to be sure I will like it, and know how to assemble it. Once I know I'll like the quilt...I then chain piece as much as I can.

Originally Posted by BMP (Post 5061551)
When you are piecing a quilt that has all the same block do you:

1~piece an entire block and move to the next block or
2~ piece one step on all the blocks then go onto the next step for each block ???

I am doing a quilt that has 60 blocks and was just wondering how everyone does theirs !

Iraxy 03-17-2012 11:47 AM

I like to do one complete block and then piece 5-10 blocks to see how it grows.

Quilterfay 03-17-2012 01:58 PM

Since I begin to quilt I have be came a professional UNSEWER. Saying that I chain piece each step at once. That way when I have them all done I can unsew them all because I have sewed them all together the wrong way. LOL

Will I ever learn!!! Or shall I make it to the World records as a Champion Unsewer!!!!!!.

ckcowl 03-17-2012 03:34 PM

yes!
it depends on the block---
with 60 of them i would probably do part of them one at a time- part of them assembly line ---i seem to get pretty (bored) with tedious---all the same blocks---though sometimes i love them at the same time- sometimes just for sanity sake i will assembly line- if makes me feel like i'm getting further faster----but after awhile i get tired of that & want to see completed blocks---so go back to constructing whole blocks-usually to try & figure out which way is actually getting me to the finish line fastest.
ya know all those (initials people use...add, ocd, ect---- i think i'm a bit of all of them- some more than others)
when i needed 22 pineapple blocks---OMG---it took me weeks---to get them done= and i swore i would never make another one! but they are probably the most beautiful blocks i have ever made & i think about using them again---but then.....
anyway- to answer your question- Yes --- that's how i do it...

crtwelvecats 03-17-2012 04:02 PM

if they are the same i just assembly line it with as many as i need for one row then move the next row.

CAS49OR 03-18-2012 12:57 PM

I like to complete as much of each block as possible before getting up to press, but I agree you should make at least one entire block to use as a reference. I have made the same mistake on several blocks and not realized it till later. Then Mr. Clover (my seam ripper) got hot and bothered.

gailinva 03-18-2012 02:40 PM

Me too!!!!! I'd go crazy if I had to do 60 of the same thing. 30 is enough and you'll have the finished blocks to oogle at while you're doing the next 30!!

Originally Posted by Sunnie (Post 5061554)
I like to do one step on half of the blocks. Then finish those blocks and repeat the step on the final half. That way I don't get bored.