Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing and Quilting Myths (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-quilting-myths-t290936.html)

Faintly Artistic 09-05-2017 11:25 AM

Don't mix regular cottons with batiks...do it successfully all the time.
Don't use a sheet for backing as they are too hard to quilt through...nonsense. I hand quilt almost all my projects and most of them have a sheet for backing.

MadQuilter 09-05-2017 11:26 AM

Only use cotton thread because polyester will cut your fabric.

Faintly Artistic 09-05-2017 11:27 AM

Hmmm...I've noticed that some of the myths about fabric choices are promoted by popular teachers and many of those teachers have their own line of fabric...

SusieQOH 09-05-2017 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by judykay (Post 7900794)
I agree with each one of these comments. Yesterday I was watching Carol Doak on Craftsy doing a paper piece class and she made an interesting comment about scissors. She said it was confirmed with the scissor companies that cutting paper with your sewing scissors does NOT dull the blades and she cuts paper with her sewing scissors and same rotary cutter that she uses for fabric and has not had any problems.

I watched her video yesterday on Craftsy and heard her say the same thing. If anyone would know, it would be Carol!!

Sewnoma 09-05-2017 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic (Post 7900820)
Hmmm...I've noticed that some of the myths about fabric choices are promoted by popular teachers and many of those teachers have their own line of fabric...

...or those who are selling specific rulers, or who are sponsored by a particular sewing machine manufacturer...

Sewnoma 09-05-2017 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by judykay (Post 7900794)
I agree with each one of these comments. Yesterday I was watching Carol Doak on Craftsy doing a paper piece class and she made an interesting comment about scissors. She said it was confirmed with the scissor companies that cutting paper with your sewing scissors does NOT dull the blades and she cuts paper with her sewing scissors and same rotary cutter that she uses for fabric and has not had any problems.

I wonder if anybody has ever scientifically tested this? Cut X yards of fabric and X yards of paper with identical scissors and examine them under a microscope. Maybe some scissor company has done this - that would be a sensible sort of test for them to do.

ladyinpurple135 09-05-2017 12:22 PM

Stitch in the ditch is the easiest way to quilt for a beginner - not even!! But it you have that sewing foot with the flange in the middle - that is the way to go. Wish I had one years ago - I do,now!

Log cabin blocks are a literal piece of cake if ---- you measure and cut each log to exact length press each seam as you sew (this is for all blocks) and if you do a really good 1/4" seam. Seam allowance is VERY IMPORTANT - no ifs, ands or buts. That's more than just my humble opinion.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

ladyinpurple135 09-05-2017 12:29 PM

I have a pair of scissors with "Singer" engraved on them that I've had for maybe 40 years. They have cut fabrics, papers, small tree branches, etc. and they are still as sharp as the day they were born. I've heard this rumor about paper vs. fabric scissors since I started quilting back in the dinosaur ages (1979) and I'm still wondering if it's really true. I own several pairs of Ginghers plus many others and I've found that some (only some) of the el cheap scissors are plenty sharp - but many are not.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

P.S. Don't you just love these ridiculous "truths"!!!!

bearisgray 09-05-2017 12:42 PM

The new cottons don't shrink. A very few don't, but most do.

liking quilting 09-05-2017 06:02 PM

This quilt can be made 3 hrs. (ha ha ha)