Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing Thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-thread-t209103.html)

BellaBoo 12-24-2012 09:32 AM

CT Essential cotton thread is a little thick for me for piecing. I like it for decorative stitches and machine quilting. I have some of every brand and even some hand dyed from England. I love thread as much as fabric. I have baskets of thread sitting around my sewing room. Looking at a basket of thread puts me in a good mood.

JoanneS 12-24-2012 10:14 AM

I used CT blue for the denim quilt I made for my grandson, and the lint was terrible. It wasn't from the denim, because I was using much washed old jeans, not new fabric. I much prefer Aurifil. I clean the bobbin area and behind where I can reach every time I change bobbins, but I wonder what's happening where I CAN'T reach!!! I'll take my machine to the dealer for a 'tune up' after the holidays. I'm curious to see how much lint he'll find.

lovelyl 12-25-2012 09:41 AM

I use Connecting Threads to piece and Superior Sew Fine to FMQ.

Nathan's Mimi 12-25-2012 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit (Post 5736776)
Hi-

I was just wondering what kind of thread I should order for the new year? I have used Aurifil, but the stores around here no longer carry it. I see connecting threads has thread on sale, but I don't want tons of lint and build up. Looking for a nice overall thread I can purchase in a bunch of neutral colors.

Happy Holidays, JC

I have ordered just about every thread set that Connecting Threads has for sale and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!!I can use this thread on my domestic and Long arm sewing machines with NO issues at all! i dont even look anywhere else anymore for thread because i like it so much !(And the prices are great too!)

KathyJ 12-25-2012 11:35 AM

I use Superior Bottom Line for all my piecing. Use it in the bobbin & as top thread. I buy it at Paducah & Houston at the quilt festivals on the 3,000 yd cones. LOVE IT!!! Really loads the bobbin & has no linty buildup in the bobbin race. I have even used it for straight line quilting on donation quilts. I get the cones in neutrals & buy smaller spools for the quilting. Give it a try - you can get it online. Merry Christmas!

Tttdoc 12-25-2012 11:46 AM

Absolutely Aurifil! It is thin but strong and doesn't take up any of your scant quarter inch. I have tried Connecting Threads cotton but still prefer the Aurifil because it is thinner. I use the 50 weight for piecing and 40 weight for quilting. I have also tried Superior, Mettler and Gutermann......but nothing compares to the Aurifil.

nhweaver 12-25-2012 11:46 AM

Santa bought me 3 large spools of Superior thread, and my 875Q loves it!! They are in the variegated beige, greys and tans. Am piecing a UFO and I am hooked on the variegated thread in this scrappy quilt. You have got to try the varigated colors. I am a convert.

purplefiend 12-25-2012 02:13 PM

I noticed that Jhittle has schmetz needles for much cheaper than what you can buy in the stores.

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 5736798)
i am always pleased with connecting threads.

the best price i have found so far for aurifil is at jhittlesewing.com
they sell individual spools and by the box.
i see they have also started carrying the cones.

Silver Needle 12-25-2012 04:03 PM

I order Superior's Masterpiece thread on cones to piece with.

Gabrielle's Mimi 12-25-2012 06:01 PM

I love Superior's Bottom Line and So Fine because there is no lint and bobbins will hold so much more thread. Buy the cones to save money and wind a bunch of bobbins at one sitting. You'll never go back to heavier weight threads once you get used to these.