Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pinking rotary blade? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinking-rotary-blade-t213799.html)

thimblebug6000 02-14-2013 09:20 AM

Watch out for your rulers! I took a few nicks in the ruler the first few times I used mine until I got used of the blade.

grammy Dwynn 02-14-2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 5860983)
Watch out for your rulers! I took a few nicks in the ruler the first few times I used mine until I got used of the blade.

Ditto! I don't like nicking my ruler.

grammysharon 02-14-2013 09:47 AM

Yes, I have one and use it occasionally.

AliKat 02-14-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 (Post 5860747)
I flip my board upside down and use the wrong side when I use various decorative rotary blades.

Me too. That way it won't interfere with straight cuts I make on the 'right' side of the mat.

QuiltingHaven 02-14-2013 02:59 PM

Olfa makes one and I love it. I wash my material before I quilt it (I know let's just not get into that discussion here) and I use the rotary pinking blade to shave off the cut ends of the fabric. It does a wonderful job and doesn't fray when washing and going through the dryer. I found when I first started and washed then it is easy for me to know which fabric has been washed by the rotary cuts on the ends. I do iron the fabric when it comes out of the dryer and sometimes it is hard to tell which is new and which is washed but with the zigzag ends, easy to tell.

ckcowl 02-14-2013 03:54 PM

i use my pinking blade every now & then- i've never damaged my cutting mat with it..it is pretty sharp- you do not have to push down hard to use it. It comes in handy when i have a fabric that the edges want to fray.

Mariposa 02-14-2013 04:04 PM

I have one by Olfa, and it works great. But do use an old cutting mat, or turn it over when using these blades.

scisyb220 02-14-2013 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven (Post 5861605)
Olfa makes one and I love it. I wash my material before I quilt it (I know let's just not get into that discussion here) and I use the rotary pinking blade to shave off the cut ends of the fabric. It does a wonderful job and doesn't fray when washing and going through the dryer. I found when I first started and washed then it is easy for me to know which fabric has been washed by the rotary cuts on the ends. I do iron the fabric when it comes out of the dryer and sometimes it is hard to tell which is new and which is washed but with the zigzag ends, easy to tell.

LOVE this idea. It's always been a dilemma for me & I like the idea that it keeps the fabric from fraying! Thanks for this great tip.

jeanharville 02-15-2013 10:08 AM

Canada Kate, I had wondered about this, but i just couldn't imagine how to measure the 1/4" seam. It still seems to me the inside of > next to the ruler would be the place to measure from since that is where the straight cut would have been. But I am definitely going to experiment with this. Thanks for the info and demo.

ghostrider 02-15-2013 11:06 AM

Does anyone besides Olfa make cutters that take them? I refuse to buy an ergonomic cutter just to accomodate the specialty blades and that's the only Olfa cutter they fit.