Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pinking Rotary Cutter ?????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinking-rotary-cutter-t152312.html)

teddysmom 09-12-2011 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by KR
I have the wavy blade that looks like pinking with rounded points and fits in my Olfa cutter. Especially like to use it when cutting blocks that I'm going to do applique work on as it keeps them from fraying.

Is the wave blade better then than the pinking blade?

KR 09-12-2011 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom

Originally Posted by KR
I have the wavy blade that looks like pinking with rounded points and fits in my Olfa cutter. Especially like to use it when cutting blocks that I'm going to do applique work on as it keeps them from fraying.

I haven't seen or tried a pinking blade but this is pretty close. Just know that my pinking shears have always been a bear to use, especially compared to the rotary cutter.

teddysmom 09-12-2011 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by KR

Originally Posted by KR

I haven't seen or tried a pinking blade but this is pretty close. Just know that my pinking shears have always been a bear to use, especially compared to the rotary cutter.

Does it cut down on the amount of fraying?

QuiltE 09-12-2011 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Yes I have one, and also a wave blade.

Do I like it? Yes, it does a great job. It takes some getting used to it along the edge of the plastic ruler as it's easier to nick into it.

I seldom use it and bought it for craft use, not for quilting.

I'm looking for something to eliminate all the strings that end up on the carpet (I hand piece/hand quilt). Can it be used for cutting quilt pieces?

Yes, it can be used.
Though I am like the PP who mentioned it's harder to line things up with the pinked edges.

Even with that, it's not foolproof ... you are still going to have loose threads! If you're going to sew/quilt, it's something you might want to get used to.

Then what is the advantage of having one?

As I already said .... "I seldom use it and bought it for craft use, not for quilting."

KR 09-12-2011 04:58 AM

Does it cut down on the amount of fraying?
Yes, quite a bit. At first I find teensy bits as they "fray" off the "pinked" edge, but that soon tapers off.

I would not use this cutter to cut blocks for piecing....you can't get as accurate a cut as with the straight blade.

The reason I bought it in the first place was after attending a lecture by a professional quilter....sorry, don't remember her name....who used it to cut out flower petals for her 3-dimensional machine applique work. It just looked like a fun tool to have in the inventory. 8-)

quilter on the eastern edge 09-12-2011 05:01 AM

I have one and only used it once or twice to cut the ends of the fabric before washing so it doesn't fray as much. I found it hard to use and it nicked the edge of my rulers. I'd rather untangle all the frayed ends than have nicks in my rulers so I don't use it any more for fabric. It has now gone to my "paper cutting" box of scissors.

AFQSinc 09-12-2011 05:44 AM

I have the pinking blade and I have used mine to trim the edges of my quilt after it has been quilted and the binding has been applied to the front. It is, in my opinion, harder to get an accurate cut. A prolific blogger quilter finishes her quilts in this way and I thought I would try it.

I mostly use mine in non-quilting sewing, though. I think it is a handy tool to have. I had an extra cutter so I bought the blade and I just leave it on so it is ready to go when I want it.

QuiltE 09-12-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
... It is, in my opinion, harder to get an accurate cut. ........

I'll echo that!!... and also very easy to leave the ruler and run askew.

Sadiemae 09-12-2011 08:22 AM

I use mine to trim fleece blankies.

pocoellie 09-12-2011 12:27 PM

I have one, but to be honest, I've never actually used the pinking blade, so I'm no help, sorry.