Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pre-washing fabric question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-washing-fabric-question-t63356.html)

natalieg 09-07-2010 11:08 AM

I double wash as well, with detergent only the first time and without anything the second run through. Then, I hang the material on the line to dry, or inside if the weather doesn't permit. Then, no static!

Kas 09-07-2010 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Fabric softeners are fats. I only use fabric softeners on synthetic fabrics.

I'm confused about the fats thing. Does that mean the fabric will become a dirt magnet like the spot on the carpet where the milk spilt? I had never thought of that. I always use fabric softner unless I will be fusing which is hardly ever.

watterstide 09-07-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by eightylady
what are nickles...? oops, besides the 5 cent piece :lol:

5 inch charm squares..
and then there are 10" squares

sewingladydi 09-07-2010 07:15 PM

I never use softener on anything.

ausywa 09-08-2010 02:37 AM

softner makes fabric harder to cut
no softner fabric still a bit stif

ausywa 09-08-2010 02:41 AM

why do sum quilters wash quilt after they are finished
bought one from usa all collours had run

iqlt2 09-08-2010 06:25 AM

i never pre wash
if i think it might run i test it first

catrancher 09-08-2010 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts

Originally Posted by bearisgray
From what I've heard, fusibles do not adhere well to fabric that has been "softened"

Some people are allergic to fabric softeners.

Yep! But I always use softener because of the static.

If I want to avoid static, I use a dryer sheet. It accomplishes the same thing, but doesn't leave the film on the fabric that a fabric softener does. I don't use softener simply because I don't use it on my towels. (Although there is no relationship.) If I'm not going to wear it, I don't use softener. I only use softener to avoid wrinkles in my clothing.

3TreeFrog 09-08-2010 07:03 AM

I took a couple quilting classes, and this is what I was taught

Rinse your fabric only no soap no nothing

dry fabric for about 15 to 20 mins, then it is easier to iron, as it's still damp!

I have never questioned the teacher, as she is in a Guild!

TreeFrog

greaterexp 09-08-2010 07:36 AM

I'm the oddball on this one. I do wash all my fabrics with detergent before using, and then (horrors!) use a softener sheet in the dryer. I'm a cheapskate and usually wash the new fabrics along with other colorfast articles to make a full load. I don't, however, use any fusible materials or basting sprays, so the softener doesn't matter much. I did start starching material before cutting, and so far the starch has worked well even with the softener. The vinegar softener is wonderful, too, because it doesn't leave any residues. I'll have to rethink the softener issue when I start doing some applique. I'm grateful you asked the question.