Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Preparing to Make a Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/preparing-make-quilt-question-t305461.html)

cjsews 06-27-2019 03:13 PM

If I know how much I need and have all the fabrics I may cut all at once. Often I am not working from a pattern and using stash. I will cut short of what I plan and when those blocks are sewn I will calculate the yardage for more. Sizes of finished quilts depend on what I have available.

Stitchnripper 06-27-2019 03:54 PM

Most of the time I don’t cut it all. There are occasions I do such as a pattern that needs bigger pieces sewn together and then subcut.

toverly 06-27-2019 04:01 PM

I tend to work in sections. I will first make one block as a test block. Then I will cut maybe 3 to make a large 4 patch of blocks. The rest of the quilt I make other 4 patches of blocks or rows, and sew them all together. The only time I precut the entire quilt is if I think I may run out of one particular fabric and need to add in other fabrics around the quilt.

Jingle 06-27-2019 05:42 PM

Since I make up most of my patterns I wait ti cut sashes and borders. If using someone else's pattern, out of a book I will cut it all at once.

quiltingshorttimer 06-27-2019 05:49 PM

I usually rush to do all cutting at the first--but am trying to train myself to first make a test block so I avoid problems. But yes, then I cut all fabrics--want to know if there is any shortage since I might be working out of my stash and need to make an adjustment.

jmoore 06-28-2019 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 8270479)
I usually cut everything at once, at least for the blocks. The plan for sashing or borders might change before I'm done. If I'm using a pattern, I double check the directions first.

Same for me. However, for the first time in my quilting history, I jumped ahead in a Doug Leko pattern to cut and assemble the focus blocks (star blocks) from two layer cakes and when I went back around to cut the other pieces, discovered I had not cut the 10” squares according to the pattern so I had to purchase additional fabric. The worst part is that the two layer cakes have been in my stash for years so I could no longer find coordinating fabric and had to try to match the best I could. Like Dunster said, check the directions first. : 0

sahansen44 06-28-2019 02:51 AM

Agree with this. I too follow this plan.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8270482)
I like to change my tasks as not to overwork my muscles at one repetitive chore. So I cut a while, sew a while, iron a while etc.

sandy l 06-28-2019 03:15 AM

I use to cut everything at once, but one time found that I had read the cutting instructions wrong, and another time after making a couple of blocks didn't like the results, so now I before I cut anything, I ask myself if I really want to do this quilt block. And more and more the time is no, so I'm sort of into just doing some kind of string or scrappy quilt.

Aurora 06-28-2019 03:42 AM

I cut everything at once and usually some extra for future use in other projects. It has saved me several times, it is almost like having a kit ready to go.

Onebyone 06-28-2019 04:24 AM

I don't chain piece so make one block at time. I do cut most all the pieces at one time before I start.