Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Preparing to Make a Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/preparing-make-quilt-question-t305461.html)

osewme 06-28-2019 01:41 PM

Sometimes I cut all my pieces first but most of the time I make a sample block & then cut my pieces as I go. Not long ago I decided to make the Over & Down Under Quilt by Bonnie Sullivan and as I read the pattern & did some research on making it, I found that I should cut all my pieces first as this quilt takes some organization & numbering of pieces concerning the color placement. Well, it's a good thing I cut all at once because I had to put it aside after cutting/numbering all the pieces instead of starting it right away & I would have never remembered where I left off if I had not cut all at once. I'll pick it back up when time permits.

Texas_Sue 06-29-2019 04:39 AM

I cut everything to be sure I have enough of what the pattern calls for and for any goofs I make in cutting.

Sneed 06-29-2019 06:20 AM

I cut as I go so that if I want to make changes midstream I can do so. One time I began cutting several pieces in the beginning and found I was cutting the wrong size. Stopped right then and there and have never cut everything first. I like to have the option to change my mind on which fabric to use where. Make sense?

Kitsie 06-29-2019 06:35 AM

I make one or two blocks first to make sure they "work", but still usually cut for a "row" or two as I go.

Cybrarian 06-29-2019 07:19 AM

I love reading our similarities and differences, so reassuring to remind myself there are several paths to the same destination! Complicated block, I cut one and assemble first, more simple I cut all that is needed. I do not cut my borders until blocks, rows, whatever are assembled and blocked, and binding when the top is completed and blocked.

bearisgray 06-29-2019 07:27 AM

Before I cut anything, now I soak it in hot water, wash, dry, and iron/press the fabric.

I used to "just" give the fabric a quick wash in tepid (lukewarm) water, and then dry it. I would always iron/press the fabric before cutting it. I have learned that sometimes it takes a bit of time (like at least 30 minutes) before some excess dyes will release.

If I am following a pattern, I make sure I have enough of whatever it calls for before starting. I may make changes as I go, so I probably would not cut out everything at once.

I had been "taught" to cut the borders before cutting the center pieces. I ruined a large piece of fabric doing that - I was a beginner beginner then, and was not that aware of "the bigger picture" when looking at the designs in a fabric.

Another "learn and live" lesson.

I do think it makes sense to "set aside" border fabric - especially if the borders are wide and one "should be" aware of how the pattern will "hit" on the strips.

ckcowl 06-29-2019 08:44 AM

It really depends on the project. Most times I cut as I go along, once in a while I cut everything out in the beginning. I usually want to cut out one block or one section first just to make sure it comes out right. Sometimes there are misprints or mathematical errors I want to catch before I cut out a lot. Quite often I make my quilts up as I go along so I’m cutting as I go and finding fabrics as I go too

Conchalea 06-30-2019 05:13 AM

It's interesting to read the different methods we use. I once precut a lot of pieces for a mystery QAL. As we assembled & I realized the pattern, I wanted a few more blocks to enlarge the overall size & pattern. I cut more pieces, then they didn't fit with the original cuts! I must have been slightly 'off' in my measurements the second time. As a result, I'm more likely to precut all pieces at the same time now. Except for sashing. The width may be decided by amount of fabric I have.

vschieve 07-02-2019 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 8270471)
Most of the time, I make up my own patterns/designs as I go along. For that reason, I rarely cut everything at once.

Exactly what I am doing right now on a chocolate candy quilt.

mmunchkins 07-02-2019 08:46 PM

I cut all the blocks at once, but wait to cut sashing, borders, and binding until after assembling the blocks.