Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Preparing to Make a Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/preparing-make-quilt-question-t305461.html)

lindaschipper 06-28-2019 04:30 AM

With me, it's a matter of space limitations. If my sewing room is clean (LOL) then I'll cut everything out at once and try not to leave a mess. If my room is cluttered, then I will do block by block and hope I can find all the necessary material again.

maminstl 06-28-2019 04:32 AM

Depends on the project - If the layout is very involved and color specific, I will cut it all at once. If not, then I will do a sample or two - then cut some, sew some.

juliasb 06-28-2019 04:40 AM

Like you, I usually cut everything first. unless there is a challenging part in a block. I have been well known to make a sample block to make sure I have my measurements correct. Just recently I did it twice where I cut strips incorrectly and got so frustrated I could scream. By the time I decided to make my sample block I discovered why the cuts I was making were wrong. So I can do the same quilt with smaller sizes or do something entirely different with the strips I cut and could not use for the quilt top I made. If I have to figure the sizing myself I make the sample block. If I am using an established pattern I will cut everything first to be sure I have everything I need correctly.

running1 06-28-2019 05:59 AM

It’s always been a good idea (for me at least) to cut and make a test block...if I fear running out of fabric I use leftover fabric from my stash... but I’ve saved more than one headache by making a test block first! Then I cut everything... Unless it’s a sampler quilt...that’s another beast all it’s own!!

TAMARATJO 06-28-2019 06:44 AM

I always cut everything first for the quilt top. But I keep the fabric out in case I didn't complete my cutting list correctly (which happens!) I don't usually cut the binding until I see how much of the fabric I have left, ditto the backing which I sometimes piece with left over fabric from the front.

EmiliasNana 06-28-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8270617)
I don't chain piece so make one block at time. I do cut most all the pieces at one time before I start.

That's my plan as well.

Jordan 06-28-2019 07:28 AM

I usually cut out 4 or 5 blocks and stack each cut out block on a paper plate and when I have a few minutes I can sit down and sew a block or two. Sometimes I do make a block to see how it will look or to have a block to refer back to if I am making a new pattern.

klswift 06-28-2019 07:46 AM

If it is a new pattern or a very different color combo I want to try out, I will make a test block. I store these orphan blocks in stacked pizza boxes (new!) by color combos, ex. christmas, patriotic, black/white, neutrals. I can later use these on tote bags as gifts or even a table runner. If I am happy with the block, then I cut all the fabric at once. I like to 'compartmentalize' the project so I can feel I have accomplished sections along the way. We often do better when we think of projects in sections - preparing, cutting, block making, top assembly, etc.

joe'smom 06-28-2019 07:48 AM

I make sure I understand all the cutting and construction steps thoroughly (this can involve several readings), then I cut everything.

marshaKay 06-28-2019 09:39 AM

I do what GingerK does. I don’t cut borders till I get to that point. Usually, they are a little different. Go figure!!