Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pressing seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pressing-seams-t107551.html)

pamkasperi 03-14-2011 10:03 AM

ok silly question but why do you have to do this?

MadQuilter 03-14-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi

Hard to answer without a point of reference.

I recently started fingerpressing the seams and don't use the iron until the block is done UNLESS there are some more bulky seams that won't lay flat without the iron. To do the fingerpress, I actually use a wooden press stick with a flat edge. It works really well.

When I have to use the iron, I sew all of my blocks in string-piece fashion and take all of them to the board. That way I am not up and down and up and down. Unfortunately, the ironing board is in front of my table and the table isn't big enough to hold EVERYTHING.

BKrenning 03-14-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
I have flip cut/press mat that stays with a small iron for doing seams as I go...to the right of my sewing machine. Once "it" gets bigger I use my x-large ironing board that resides in my walk-in closet.

Me, too but mine is on the left and my big-board is just a few steps away. It only resides in my closet when I'm quilting on the frame otherwise it is open & ready for use in the middle of my room.

leaha 03-14-2011 01:02 PM

I used to have every thing in a nice litle U shape, cutting matt to the right, seweing machine center, and ironing board to the left. swivel chair, and never got up, not good for figure. Now I have my big board ironing board and iron in the next room. So I have to get up and move around a bit, much better for me. I have to move more.But I do press each seam as I go.

BKrenning 03-14-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi

It makes the seams nestle together better & keeps my blocks & rows more square.

LivelyLady 03-14-2011 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
My Big Board/ironing board sits to the right & is the same height of my sewing cabinet, so that I can just swivel on my chair to the press seams as I go.

That's how I'm set up too.

oatw13 03-14-2011 06:18 PM

I have a pressing table next to my machine, but I don't use it! I still set up the ironing board and iron in the other room. It forces me to get up and walk around every few minutes. Some days, it is the closest thing to exercise that I get! lol

Donna Mae 03-14-2011 06:20 PM

I sew some strips and then go to iron board and press, do some more strips and go to iron board and press. I just can't sit all the time, so this works for me.

simple quilter

DogHouseMom 03-14-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.

I'm with Grammy. I like the fact that I have to get up and walk. Of course that sometimes mean I also get sidetracked :)

Jingle 03-14-2011 06:42 PM

I press every seam I sew. I have to get up and walk a few feet, helps me to move around.