Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pressing seams

When you are sitting at your machine, do you press every seam that you sew as you go on your quilt top? Where do you keep your iron? All around my machine I have things stacked up to sew, so I was wondering if it would be worth the time to 'create' a pressing area by my machine.

My Big Board/ironing board sits to the right & is the same height of my sewing cabinet, so that I can just swivel on my chair to the press seams as I go.

Blog Entries
    Me too, I have an adjustable ironing board that is the same height as my sewing space, I press as I go all the time.

Blog Entries
    I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.

Blog Entries
    I press as I sew. I have an ironing board next to my sewing machine. It encourages me to stand up and move a bit while I am sewing. I do sew a chain of items at one time, then I stand up and iron them all, then sit and sew some more.

Yes, i press all the seams. My iron is set up right next to my table for easy access. Although i have to get up to iron or press, it gives me a little exersize while sewing LOL

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long.
    Same here, same reason.

Blog Entries
    Yes. I learned the hard way to not skip this step. have a small table with a cover on it next to my sewing machine to make it easy. Sometimes I will get up and walk across room to use my ironing board. just depends what I am doing.

I have flip cut/press mat that stays with a small iron for doing seams as I go...to the right of my sewing machine. Once "it" gets bigger I use my x-large ironing board that resides in my walk-in closet.

Yes, I press every seam. The iron is set up at the opposite end of the room from the sewing machine. I think that getting up to iron is better than sitting for long periods of time, and I don't want the heat from the iron that close to me while I'm sewing.

Blog Entries
    I'm like most everyone else, I press most of my seams as I go, but have to get up and move around so that gives my back a change. Some projects I just finger press as I go then do the pressing all at once. I find sitting and pressing bothers my shoulders, so I stand to do it .

I chain piece then take them to the ironing board across the hall in the bathroom. This forces me to get up and get some exercise or my butt would be even bigger than it is.

Blog Entries
    I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.
    This is exactly my thinking. I do have a tabletop board that I use occasionally, but since I've been walking across the room, I find I'm less sore at the end of a full day of quilting. BTW I always press every seam as I sew. Finger pressing, even with a tool does not seem to work for me.

I'm another one who presses every seam and has board across the room from sewing machine.
    I need to get up pretty often or I wont be able to walk the next day

I hand-sew, and I almost always press each seam straight after sewing it, unless there's a good reason not to. I have a tabletop ironing board and travel iron which I keep on my sewing desk. The ironing board is big enough for a 12" block plus the iron, but small enough that it doesn't take up much space, and I keep my acrylic rulers etc. tucked underneath. I find the smaller iron easier to manoeuvre and more accurate, especially for small or curved seams. I only use the big ironing board and standard iron for pressing whole fabrics or pressing quilt tops before basting.

Blog Entries
    I'm a frequent presser, too, but I think it was Eddie who had a post on only finger pressing until the block is assembled and then using the iron. Darn, tried "search" but I can't find it now. But it does work well. Just can't bring myself to trust it! Can anyone remember the post?

I do exactly the same. I have a wooden seam presser that I use if I need to press a seam before I sew, but really need to get up and stretch sometimes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    I'm a frequent presser, too, but I think it was Eddie who had a post on only finger pressing until the block is assembled and then using the iron. Darn, tried "search" but I can't find it now. But it does work well. Just can't bring myself to trust it! Can anyone remember the post?
    He took a class with someone famous (can't remember who) who said never to press until the project is finished. It seems like a time saving idea, but I like to keep track of my hits and misses and pressing helps me with that.

This is exactly how I do it and for the same reason.... :)

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I chain piece then take them to the ironing board across the hall in the bathroom. This forces me to get up and get some exercise or my butt would be even bigger than it is.
    Except my ironing board is in the living room.

Actually I usually finger press if that will do the job. Between finger pressing and nesting seams I can usually wait to do the ironing til the block is finished, if I am doing one block at a time.

ali

Banned
    ok silly question but why do you have to do this?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Hard to answer without a point of reference.

I recently started fingerpressing the seams and don't use the iron until the block is done UNLESS there are some more bulky seams that won't lay flat without the iron. To do the fingerpress, I actually use a wooden press stick with a flat edge. It works really well.

When I have to use the iron, I sew all of my blocks in string-piece fashion and take all of them to the board. That way I am not up and down and up and down. Unfortunately, the ironing board is in front of my table and the table isn't big enough to hold EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    I have flip cut/press mat that stays with a small iron for doing seams as I go...to the right of my sewing machine. Once "it" gets bigger I use my x-large ironing board that resides in my walk-in closet.
    Me, too but mine is on the left and my big-board is just a few steps away. It only resides in my closet when I'm quilting on the frame otherwise it is open & ready for use in the middle of my room.

Blog Entries
    I used to have every thing in a nice litle U shape, cutting matt to the right, seweing machine center, and ironing board to the left. swivel chair, and never got up, not good for figure. Now I have my big board ironing board and iron in the next room. So I have to get up and move around a bit, much better for me. I have to move more.But I do press each seam as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    It makes the seams nestle together better & keeps my blocks & rows more square.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast