Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing seams >

Pressing seams

Pressing seams

Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 AM

I'm like most everyone else, I press most of my seams as I go, but have to get up and move around so that gives my back a change. Some projects I just finger press as I go then do the pressing all at once. I find sitting and pressing bothers my shoulders, so I stand to do it .
Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 AM

I chain piece then take them to the ironing board across the hall in the bathroom. This forces me to get up and get some exercise or my butt would be even bigger than it is.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.
This is exactly my thinking. I do have a tabletop board that I use occasionally, but since I've been walking across the room, I find I'm less sore at the end of a full day of quilting. BTW I always press every seam as I sew. Finger pressing, even with a tool does not seem to work for me.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 AM

I'm another one who presses every seam and has board across the room from sewing machine.
I need to get up pretty often or I wont be able to walk the next day
Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 AM

I hand-sew, and I almost always press each seam straight after sewing it, unless there's a good reason not to. I have a tabletop ironing board and travel iron which I keep on my sewing desk. The ironing board is big enough for a 12" block plus the iron, but small enough that it doesn't take up much space, and I keep my acrylic rulers etc. tucked underneath. I find the smaller iron easier to manoeuvre and more accurate, especially for small or curved seams. I only use the big ironing board and standard iron for pressing whole fabrics or pressing quilt tops before basting.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 AM

I'm a frequent presser, too, but I think it was Eddie who had a post on only finger pressing until the block is assembled and then using the iron. Darn, tried "search" but I can't find it now. But it does work well. Just can't bring myself to trust it! Can anyone remember the post?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 AM

I do exactly the same. I have a wooden seam presser that I use if I need to press a seam before I sew, but really need to get up and stretch sometimes.
I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
I'm a frequent presser, too, but I think it was Eddie who had a post on only finger pressing until the block is assembled and then using the iron. Darn, tried "search" but I can't find it now. But it does work well. Just can't bring myself to trust it! Can anyone remember the post?
He took a class with someone famous (can't remember who) who said never to press until the project is finished. It seems like a time saving idea, but I like to keep track of my hits and misses and pressing helps me with that.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 AM

This is exactly how I do it and for the same reason.... :)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
I chain piece then take them to the ironing board across the hall in the bathroom. This forces me to get up and get some exercise or my butt would be even bigger than it is.
Except my ironing board is in the living room.

Actually I usually finger press if that will do the job. Between finger pressing and nesting seams I can usually wait to do the ironing til the block is finished, if I am doing one block at a time.

ali