Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pressing seams

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    My Big Board/ironing board sits to the right & is the same height of my sewing cabinet, so that I can just swivel on my chair to the press seams as I go.
    That's how I'm set up too.

I have a pressing table next to my machine, but I don't use it! I still set up the ironing board and iron in the other room. It forces me to get up and walk around every few minutes. Some days, it is the closest thing to exercise that I get! lol

I sew some strips and then go to iron board and press, do some more strips and go to iron board and press. I just can't sit all the time, so this works for me.

simple quilter

Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.
    I'm with Grammy. I like the fact that I have to get up and walk. Of course that sometimes mean I also get sidetracked :)

I press every seam I sew. I have to get up and walk a few feet, helps me to move around.

I don't have room to keep the big ironing board up all the time. I have a "travel ironing board" and a travel iron next to my machine on the right....I don't even have to swivel!!!! And I DO press each seam after sewing -- note: I PRESS, I don't iron! It makes for a better quilt without having folds.

Yes I press right next to my machine.

Blog Entries
    The best thing I ever did for myself was to make room for my iron next to my sewing machine. I really didn't realize how much I had to get up to go to my ironing board before I did that. Now I have more time to sew.

Blog Entries
    I sew for a while and press for a while. I like the change of pace.

I get up to iron but is close by.

I have my ironing board set at a low position (lower than my quilting table opposite it's place. Then have a smaller table for my work for designing in between them. That way I just swivel my chair around and press as I go along. I have found that it is best for me to press my blocks as I go along so I have no problem with joining them altogether with seams matching. Unlike some I have to do it this way with my arthritis or I would really have problems. I do take walkaround breaks so I don't have the dreaded quilters crunch but there is just no way I could get up and move everytime I had to press or work at my design table. I do move and raise my ironing board when I am pressing my large pieces of fabric. My cutting table is across the room but I get all my cutting done beforehand. I also use the weighted back support to help keep my back in alignment which is a true blessing so I don't hump over all the time. We all just have to find the way that works best for each of us especially when many of us spend hours a day quilting. :-D

I do press all seams and I do chain sew but I love my ironing
    board I made to be right at my right arm. I had an unused typing stand on wheels so I just fixed a board and padded it for
    the top. I can move it easily and it works just great.
    Yes it is a good idea to get up from that machine once in awhile.
    My legs don't work too well if I don't but I still love my ironing
    stand beside me.

Flo in NNY

To me pressing as I sew is as important as seam allowance and using the right needle/thread. This goes for regular sewing also. My high school Home Ec teacher (I loved Mrs. Yates!!) pounded it into our heads that "The only way to get quality sewing is to press-as-you-go girrrrls!!"

Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    ok silly question but why do you have to do this?
    It sets the seam down into the fabric, making the seam a little sturdier. Also it flattens everything out and makes your points line up much better as you assemble blocks. :)

my little ironing area is at a right angle to my machine. I press chainstyle as I sew in chains. The little ironing area is a rolling computer cart. When the project gets way too big for that I put up my wide board. But I can get alot of mileage out of the litlle area.

i'm another press every seam person. And I also have to get up and go to my ironing board. Sometimes after sewing for quite a while I have to head over to the gym and walk the treadmill or use some machines to stretch my arms. Feels soooooo good.

My board is about 3' away from the machine and I do have to get up to press....

but if anyone with any sort of arthritis is reading this, they know that is the best thing to do.

sitting too long really gets to me and then I am not a happy quilter......so up and down works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.
    Me too. I need to move every once in awhile.

Ditto, except it is on my left.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Yes, i press all the seams. My iron is set up right next to my table for easy access. Although i have to get up to iron or press, it gives me a little exersize while sewing LOL
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Yes, i press all the seams. My iron is set up right next to my table for easy access. Although i have to get up to iron or press, it gives me a little exersize while sewing LOL
    Me too.

I had two old typing stands too that I put to use in my SR. I like to pick all my embroidery colors at one time and put them in a bowl. I roll the stand to my EM. I also do the same for scrap sewing. makes it so much easier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
    My board is about 3' away from the machine and I do have to get up to press....

but if anyone with any sort of arthritis is reading this, they know that is the best thing to do.

sitting too long really gets to me and then I am not a happy quilter......so up and down works for me.
    probably sould be a different thread - but that is a beautiful avatar. . . I'm assuming it is a quilt you made . . . can you tell us about it?? Gorgeous - oh - and I move across the room to the iron - on purpose !

My board and iron are by and level with my sewing machine table so I can scoot over there and press as I go. I'm not able to sew for really long stretches so I'm not usually sitting there more than an hour or 2 at a time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    My Big Board/ironing board sits to the right & is the same height of my sewing cabinet, so that I can just swivel on my chair to the press seams as I go.
    Same...now mind you..I never use to at first..because I had no idea I needed too. A very nice member here..told me to make pressing my best friend. So now we are. lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast