Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pressing seams

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long.
    Same here, same reason.
    Me too.

lbc
    I press constantly and I purposely have my ironing board in another room at the opposite end of the house. Trying to get my 10,000 steps a day in. It helps, but I'm still not there.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaLola
    I made a small pressing board--that just fits the top of a wooden folding tray/table that I bought really cheap at Walgreens. I keep it next to my machine where it's handy to just turn and press. Then the whole thing folds up and get's tucked away when I'm done.

I also have my ironing board set at the same height as my cutting table with a large pressing board on top, so for larger projects I can sit (I have physical issues with standing for any time at all) and get all my pressing done.
    I am thinking about making a pressing table from a wooden TV tray you can get at Walmart for $8.95. Saw a tute for it on you tube I think. I think that would be just the thing for my small room and small sewing surface.

Blog Entries
    I keep my ironing board up and get up to iron when needed. It really is good to get up and move around. Sitting is bad for circulation and your back when sewing for long periods of time. So my thinking is sit, stand, sit, stand lol :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lbc
    I press constantly and I purposely have my ironing board in another room at the opposite end of the house. Trying to get my 10,000 steps a day in. It helps, but I'm still not there.
    Great idea to count steps! I need to get the pedometer..(sp) Now that the weather is getting better, I plan to get a good walk in at least every other day if not more. Winters are bad on the hips, thighs and waist!! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    My Big Board/ironing board sits to the right & is the same height of my sewing cabinet, so that I can just swivel on my chair to the press seams as I go.
    ME TOOO

Blog Entries
    I bought an ironing surface cloth and just put it on my table next to my machine. If I can work a pile, then press.... I leave my ironing board up in the next room.

I have a cabinet arm that pulls out from my sewing cabinet and I keep a small square ironing board on it and press my seams. I use to use a laptop table as my ironing board.

Peg-TX
    Innova 18"

i have a small board and iron on the other side of the table, so i chain sew then get up and iron seams...helps me not get so stiff from sitting......gina

Power Poster
    My ironing board is outside my room in a hallway leading up to the 3rd floor. When I quilt in my family room I have a 12 x 12 cutting board with a ironing mat on the other side.

Blog Entries
    Yes! Press! It makes all your pieces go together much more smoothly. I make room for my padded pressing board from Quilt in a Day and set my iron up each time I sew. I, also, have a swivel chair so that I don't have to get up but can go directly from sewing to pressing. Good luck!

I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.
    same here

I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.
    I agree with grammy. I have to get up and move, and I tend to have shoulder problems, so pressing with my arms at table height would just make them ache.

I have a cut and flip board that I have tried using close to my sewing machine. I find it to ackward though, and the iron is to hot being that close to me.
    I find it better for me to get up and walk to the ironing board and move around a little. :thumbup:

Power Poster
    I press my seams and have my ironing board right next to me.

Ditto!

I bought a portable ironing board that folds. Much better than the large one I have. I love it to death. Has pull-out rack for your iron and it doesn't get hot. This goes anywhere I want without dragging the larger one on having to use someone elses.

I press as I sew.

I to have a full size ironingboard set up behind just to mske me...get up and move.....u sit on it to long u spread it lol

Blog Entries
    I have a rolling cart that I got at Michaels. It's officially scrapbooking storage, but it has 3 drawers plus room for magazines - vertical storage, and then a drop leaf on the top so I can open it up to about 2'by4'/ It is on wheels, so I just pull it up beside me and have my small pressing surface on that. So it's at my left side at right angles to my sewing machine.
    I usually chain piece a dozen or so, and then press. I always press one seam before doing the next step.

I turned a wood tv table into a pressing area it's the right height, sits right beside me and I can fold it up and put it away if I have to.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the headsup...all this getting up and down is a pain in my back...LOL

Jim
    I sew then press, sew then press, sew then press, LOL

I sew in my dining room turned craft room. It is on the first floor. My iron and board are in the master bedroom on the second floor. I have often thought I really need a second iron and small board on the first floor, but have come to realize that I can piece for a while, then trot upstairs and iron. It keeps me moving! With arthritic old bones I believe it is really good for me to have to run up and down the stairs frequently. It might take a bit of extra time, but I think the trade-off of getting my muscles moving routinely while sitting at my machine is worth it.

I think I am doing my body some good, but some might think I am nuts...

Yes, it definitely would be worth setting up a pressing area next to your machine. I press every seam. Pressing the newly sewn sean "sets" your thread into the fabric and creates a cleaner finish when the piece is opened and again pressed.

I created a pressing surface by using some double folded muslin with a small scrap of leftover cottom batting between it and placed it on a small table to the right of my machine (I'm right handed and it just works out better that way for me.) For larger seams as when I'm putting rows together I might work on several seams then take it to my larger ironing board in the utility room. Give me some walking exercise.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast