Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Pressing seams

Costco sells a small adjustable table that makes a perfect pressing station. The table is a little larger than a TV tray and it is adjustable to 22, 24, and 26 inch heigths. I set the table next to my sewing machine cabinet and just roll over to it when I need to press a seam. The adjustable heighth allows me to iron sitting down. If I need to press long seams I go to my ironing board but this little table is perfect for ironing smaller seams.

I made a 2 foot by 3 foot pressing board that sits next to my machine. I is covered with cotton batting and duck cloth. I LOVE IT! Wish my big ironing board worked as well!

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    My Big Board/ironing board sits to the right & is the same height of my sewing cabinet, so that I can just swivel on my chair to the press seams as I go.
    Love that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by gingersnaps
    I turned a wood tv table into a pressing area it's the right height, sits right beside me and I can fold it up and put it away if I have to.
    That is exactly what i use and it is on wheels so i roll it into the corner when i have finished sewing, out of harms way.

Blog Entries
    My sewing desk is a computer desk that has a slide out tray that my DH made a pressing pad for me. So I sew a chain & slide out board, cut them apart & then press & so on. I do need to stand up & move more but when you're on a roll its hard to remember it.

Blog Entries
    I chain and then I get up and iron, if I sit too long I tend to get stiff and sore. This makes me get up and move. This works for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    I usually chain for awhile, then press. My ironing board (full size) is across the room. It makes me get up and move, otherwise I would be sitting WAY to long. I tried setting up a pressing area next to my sewing machine, just didn't work for me.
    I'm with you! I get carried away when I start chaining and wind up really stiff. If I break it up, my back and shoulders really appreciate it.

I press my seams as I go. My ironing board is across the room. Getting up and down to press seams is the only exercise I get while in the quilting mode. LOL

I sew a bunch of seams then press. I press every seam but I usually sew assembly line style then press. It gets me up and moving away from the machine. I find less arm and shoulder fatigue this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexie
    When you are sitting at your machine, do you press every seam that you sew as you go on your quilt top? Where do you keep your iron? All around my machine I have things stacked up to sew, so I was wondering if it would be worth the time to 'create' a pressing area by my machine.

I sew a chain and then get up and press - across the room.. I have cats who sit and watch me sew and I have that fear they will get burned if I have the iron next to me... I sit all day at work so, movement is good... So, going across the room is good for me.

I do a lot of pp, so need to press after each seam is sewn. I have a short plastic stacked drawer cart on wheels to the right of my chair, with a Quilter's Square 'n Press on top of it. It's just the right size for those small pressing jobs. Otherwise, my ironing board with the enlarged table on top is right behind me, about 3' away, when I need a larger press surface.

Blog Entries
    Yes, in order for the block to stay flat and "know" that I have pressed them correctly before I go to the next step I always press as I go. It keeps me out of trouble later :-D

Quote Originally Posted by rexie
    When you are sitting at your machine, do you press every seam that you sew as you go on your quilt top? Where do you keep your iron? All around my machine I have things stacked up to sew, so I was wondering if it would be worth the time to 'create' a pressing area by my machine.
    My board is in the lounge room so I am getting some exercise going back and forwards between the sewing machine and the ironing board.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5