Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pressing seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pressing-seams-t107551.html)

amandasgramma 03-14-2011 06:52 PM

I don't have room to keep the big ironing board up all the time. I have a "travel ironing board" and a travel iron next to my machine on the right....I don't even have to swivel!!!! And I DO press each seam after sewing -- note: I PRESS, I don't iron! It makes for a better quilt without having folds.

sewingsuz 03-14-2011 07:05 PM

Yes I press right next to my machine.

Beth Dishong 03-14-2011 07:06 PM

The best thing I ever did for myself was to make room for my iron next to my sewing machine. I really didn't realize how much I had to get up to go to my ironing board before I did that. Now I have more time to sew.

Sallyflymi 03-15-2011 01:24 AM

I sew for a while and press for a while. I like the change of pace.

MerryQuilter 03-15-2011 01:55 AM

I get up to iron but is close by.

quiltmaker 03-15-2011 02:10 AM

I have my ironing board set at a low position (lower than my quilting table opposite it's place. Then have a smaller table for my work for designing in between them. That way I just swivel my chair around and press as I go along. I have found that it is best for me to press my blocks as I go along so I have no problem with joining them altogether with seams matching. Unlike some I have to do it this way with my arthritis or I would really have problems. I do take walkaround breaks so I don't have the dreaded quilters crunch but there is just no way I could get up and move everytime I had to press or work at my design table. I do move and raise my ironing board when I am pressing my large pieces of fabric. My cutting table is across the room but I get all my cutting done beforehand. I also use the weighted back support to help keep my back in alignment which is a true blessing so I don't hump over all the time. We all just have to find the way that works best for each of us especially when many of us spend hours a day quilting. :-D

Flo Pierce 03-15-2011 02:48 AM

I do press all seams and I do chain sew but I love my ironing
board I made to be right at my right arm. I had an unused typing stand on wheels so I just fixed a board and padded it for
the top. I can move it easily and it works just great.
Yes it is a good idea to get up from that machine once in awhile.
My legs don't work too well if I don't but I still love my ironing
stand beside me.

Flo in NNY

Shunem 03-15-2011 03:33 AM

To me pressing as I sew is as important as seam allowance and using the right needle/thread. This goes for regular sewing also. My high school Home Ec teacher (I loved Mrs. Yates!!) pounded it into our heads that "The only way to get quality sewing is to press-as-you-go girrrrls!!"

Shunem 03-15-2011 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
ok silly question but why do you have to do this?

It sets the seam down into the fabric, making the seam a little sturdier. Also it flattens everything out and makes your points line up much better as you assemble blocks. :)

jeanneb52 03-15-2011 03:42 AM

my little ironing area is at a right angle to my machine. I press chainstyle as I sew in chains. The little ironing area is a rolling computer cart. When the project gets way too big for that I put up my wide board. But I can get alot of mileage out of the litlle area.