Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prices going up. Ouch! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prices-going-up-ouch-t161940.html)

TexasGurl 10-21-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ka9sdn
I don't buy anything at Joanns unless it is on sale or has a coupon, someone else will have it.

Ditto ! Most of their "regular" prices are ridiculous !

mjhaess 10-21-2011 11:44 AM

Unless it is fabric I just have to have, I refuse to pay that kind of money. I know everything has been going up but it has got to be a joke...on us I guess...I bought some really nice fabric from Wall-Mart in North Charleston, SC. I paid $3.97 for some and $4.97 for the others. I was just happy Wall-Mart is bringing back their fabric department. Also, I hear peanut butter is expected to double in price. I bought some yesterday and it was up 70 cents a jar since last month.

TexasGurl 10-21-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Learner747
Was at JoAnn's today and found great sale prices. Also found quilting fabric priced at $9.99. Some friends from Texas told me last summer that because of the drought the cotton crop was lost and prices would increase. Will you pay this or more?

I won't pay that price at Joann's. The quality is not there. I'll pay it at LQS or for good brands online.
The cotton price increase is not only due to the US drought, unfortunately India and Pakistan are now the major cotton suppliers. Floods there have driven up prices. Most quilting & sewing fabrics are made overseas now in China and Korea. The chickens have come home to roost ! :(

stitchinwitch 10-21-2011 11:53 AM

IF the fabric sells at $12 a yard. it MAY go up to $14. If it DOESN't sell, it will come DOWN...Sooooooooooo - DO NOT BUY!

ConnieF 10-21-2011 12:18 PM

I buy most of my fabs in June and NOv at a localQuilt shop she has a 40% off all fabs. And her prices are already lower than the other shops in town.
It is the 1 to the 5th of Nov.... so coming soon I get my patterns out and start figureing it out....bag, aprins, quilts and table runners etc...

JackieG 10-21-2011 12:38 PM

I can't justify those high prices for quilting fabric. I did notice that chain fabric stores are having more 40% sales lately, so that tells me the average consumer like myself is not spending as much. Therefore, more incentives are being offered by the large companies. I will check out Connecting Threads. Thanks for the tip.

Grace Giaimo 10-21-2011 12:46 PM

Funny so many of you mentioned JoAnn's $9.99 fabric. I was in the store just last week with friends. I also said, "before I pay that at Jo Ann's, I'd rather go to the local quilt shop and get better quality. Of course, JoAnn's raises the prices 40% so we can scatter about to get discount coupons for 30-40%. That's the marketing strategy that thinks we are all fools.

Favorite Fabrics 10-21-2011 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grace Giaimo
Funny so many of you mentioned JoAnn's $9.99 fabric. I was in the store just last week with friends. I also said, "before I pay that at Jo Ann's, I'd rather go to the local quilt shop and get better quality. Of course, JoAnn's raises the prices 40% so we can scatter about to get discount coupons for 30-40%. That's the marketing strategy that thinks we are all fools.

It's a marketing strategy that unfortunately trains customers to develop unreasonable expectations about sales.

I *wish* that all stores would just set fair prices to begin with. Then customers would truly be able to tell a "sale" apart from "a marketing gimmick".

But...

If their strategy was not working, they wouldn't be doing it.

MargeD 10-21-2011 01:21 PM

No, mainly because I am trying to make do on Social Security with a disabled husband. However, I just took advantage of their buy one batting, get one free sale, plus a 50% off coupon on Insul-Brite and 40% off Wonder-Under. Unless I'm really, really desperate, I can't buy unless it is on sale and I don't like to pay more than $6-8/yd, especially if I can find it on sale, on line, or in-store.

FroggyinTexas 10-21-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Learner747
Was at JoAnn's today and found great sale prices. Also found quilting fabric priced at $9.99. Some friends from Texas told me last summer that because of the drought the cotton crop was lost and prices would increase. Will you pay this or more?

No. There are too many good buys at Internet shops and at discount fabric shops. froggyintexas