Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To purchase or not to purchase? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/purchase-not-purchase-t283702.html)

sandy l 11-12-2016 04:30 AM

When I was still using my mid-arm, I used it all the time to wind my bobbins, and it did a good job.

Linda1 11-12-2016 05:50 AM

I wore mine out. I am definitely going to get another one.

Taughtby Grandma 11-12-2016 06:13 AM

I have one. I don't use it a lot, but it really helps when I need a bobbin done, even for my long arm machine. So I think it was worth it to buy.

bkay 11-12-2016 06:16 AM

It does not work with the Touch and Sew bobbins, as they do not have a hole in the middle.

bkay

Daylesewblessed 11-12-2016 06:17 AM

Our guild has a permanent work room for our charity quilt assembly sessions. There are about 6 sewing machines in the room, and the bobbins are filled on a Sidewinder. What that means is that people who are new to a particular machine don't have to stop their work and figure out how to wind a bobbin on that machine. We use a beige thread for almost all of the sewing, which means that the bobbins can all be done alike.

sheilar 11-12-2016 06:25 AM

I love mine for all the reasons already mentioned, but I can't use it for one of my machines, a viking that uses the green bobbins. Otherwise it is great:sew:

2manyhobbies 11-12-2016 06:26 AM

I love mine.

Snooze2978 11-12-2016 06:27 AM

I have tried a variety of bobbin winders to wind Viking bobbins and its just not possible. Someone up in WA (I think) was offering bobbin winders and they made me a special spool pin just for the Viking bobbins. I've upgraded from the D1 to the EPIC and still have the problem but at least the bobbin winder on the machine has a separate motor so I can wind while its sewing. Also I find the Janome pre-wound bobbins will fit the EPIC too. The NEB pre-wounds are too short though they worked on the D1 just fine. I still have the other bobbin winder and am thinking of selling it. Its heavy and I know I paid a good price for it. much more than the Sidewinder cost.

carla m 11-12-2016 07:06 AM

i almost didnt get one because i thought really will i ever use that and oh my gosh i use it all the i even rigged up a way to use the large cone thread on it with one of those strong straws from an old sip cup i had around the house we also have one at our quilt house where our quilting group sews and i use that one all the time too its so much faster than using my
machine.
carla

klswift 11-12-2016 07:11 AM

I don't buy many 'toys' for myself, but one day this was on a 60% sale, so I bought it. I absolutely love it! It sits under my thread wall and so quick and easy to fill bobbins. I fill a couple before a project and they sit on the extra spool. I usually sew with the basic neutrals, so when I run out (usually on that last stretch!), I just spin my chair around, load another one and slip it in the case. I don't think I would spend the regular price for it, but if it is on sale, I would buy it. It would also be a great gift for a quilting friend.