Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quarter of an Inch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quarter-inch-t238184.html)

mjhaess 01-06-2014 07:28 AM

Try the quarter inch seam guide...It works well...

carolstickelmaier 01-06-2014 07:41 AM

I find it also helps if I am sitting directly in front of the needle and not off to the side. I seem to get a more accurate seam and not wander. I have a Viking and I marked the inside of my lid with the proper needle setting for 1/4". Now I don't have to wonder if I remembered correctly.

bonnyh 01-06-2014 07:49 AM

I've stopped using the 1/4 inch foot after a little use, gets out of shape and gives me a 'fat 1/4 inch'. It's a little extra work, but I use a regular foot and move my needle over to the right. On my Elna, it is to 6.5 or 7.0 if I want a scant 1/4 inch, and then use the edge of the foot. To keep from drifting off at the end, I hold my fabric with my left index finger up against the right edge of the foot. Good luck with your endeavors and DON'T GIVE UP. It will get better.

stillclock 01-06-2014 07:50 AM

i find i just don't worry about it too much. i take one step back from my quilt and voila! it looks GREAT!

(lost points are driving me nuts and i am being flippant because this bugs me. but honestly...there's too much to worry about in the world to be freakin' about two threads over.....)

aileen

nativetexan 01-06-2014 08:08 AM

the 1/4 foot is just a guide. means you must guide the fabric as it goes along. the feed dogs will move your fabric at times where you don't want it to go. you must not push the fabric too much toward the edge guide or away from it. just keep it going straight. find a point to look at as you sew. the needle, the line and needle. the edge of the foot and the fabric. what ever works for you. then sew your seams. you will get it. just don't stress too much.

hevemi 01-06-2014 09:33 AM

http://www.quiltdesignnw.com/quiltin...t-patterns.htm

Scroll down the top column to 1/4 Inch Guide and print it. If you can adjust your needle position this is very handy, also for a scant 1/4 inch

hairquilt 01-06-2014 09:42 AM

I couldn't get a 1/4 either so I cut a small board about 6" long & inch wide & taped it to machine next to foot. It is long & thick enough to force me to sew seam correctly. Easy to retape. You can master it. Keep trying as it will make a huge difference in your quilt blocks!!

quilter2090 01-06-2014 10:31 AM

Buy a 1/4" presser foot with guide. It makes achieving a 1/4" seam easy. Most sewing machine brands have a 1/4" with guide available, but if your dealer doesn't have one available you can buy a generic one. I would suggest you see if you can buy on made for your machine first. Also, a 1/4" with guide presser foot makes Drunkard's Path blocks easy to make.

Jo Belmont 01-06-2014 11:03 AM

There are so many good suggestions here. However, I discovered that my piecing really stepped up a notch when I changed to a single-hole sole plate coupled with the quarter-inch guide foot (and yes, it is a "guide" and you must keep the barest end of the fabric against the guide or it will veer off).

Another great advantage to the single-hole sole plate is that there is a tremendous reduction in the amount of lint, etc. that accumulates in and around the bobbin.

I especially recommend as well using bobbin thread wound at half speed.

All these steps have taken my sewing to a new level.

NOTE: If your machine does not have a computerized setting to show that it's using the single-hole sole plate, then be especially diligent that you do not forget and switch to a zigzag setting as you will most definitely break your needle. Computerized machines automatically prevent you from doing this.

Hope this helps.

scisyb220 01-06-2014 11:07 AM

Find out where on YOUR presser foot is 1/4 inch from the needle, make sure you have your needle centered, and then use the point on your presser foot as your guide. I have two different machines, each has a spot on the presser foot I use for my 1/4" guide, but it is more consistent and reliable than the 1/4" foot for either machine! By using that as a guide, I have more reliable, consistent 1/4" seams than ever before. Beside, when you are sewing your eye is drawn to where the needle is going, not to the side. Make it easy on yourself. Find what works for you & stick with it, you can do this!!