Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quarter of an Inch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quarter-inch-t238184.html)

Pennyhal 01-06-2014 11:12 AM

I've been quilting for years and can never get a 1/4 inch seam consistant either. So don't feel bad. Unless you are quilting for competition, the lack of a perfect 1/4 inch seam isn't something to worry over. When putting blocks together, you can ease extra fabric or stretch it to make it fit. You just don't see an individual seam when the quilt is finished. If your blocks are waaay off, then start measuring the smaller elements of the block, adjusting the size there before putting the whole block together. If I'm doing RSTs, I always make them 1/4 inch larger, then trim them down to size. Or, like in a log cabin block, I make the last strips that you add a little larger, then trim the block to size. Yes, it takes a little longer and a tiny bit more fabric, but making a quilt is not a race, but something to be enjoyed while doing.

Jingle 01-06-2014 12:01 PM

For the quilts I have made I use a 1/4" seam.

Onebyone 01-06-2014 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6494944)
There is a quick easy solution to the veering off. Put your index finger of your left hand against the left edge of the machine foot while sewing the seam or coming to the end, just a light touch and your seam will not veer. I do this automatically now.

This works! I now have straight seams with no veering at all. Thanks!

Sandygirl 01-06-2014 12:52 PM

no one does the seam test? I have to adjust my needle position to get the correct 1/4" seam for my 1/4" foot. I save the needle position info. it DOES make a difference in your blocks and how they come out. I make a note of the settings per machine. my blocks improved once I made myself do the seam test. sandy

stillclock 01-06-2014 01:02 PM

i don't think there's any doubt that these things help, but i do think different quilters are using different machines and quilting with different end goals. sure, i like my quilts to be as well made as possible, but in the last couple of weeks i have felt more than a little overwhelmed by the posts about threads (i can't see myself ever considering how many plys my all purpose gutterman thread is!) and these really really small details. i can understand that they mount to a much more accurate quilt, but when i posted the thread about "how good is good enough for you?" the majority of replies indicated people are quilting for pleasure, not perfection.

i am. and i hope that if these details are what you thrill you, you continue to pursue them. i will *totally* continue to admire competition level quilting from the sidelines.

i'm going to keep losing points and loving my time in the sewing room i think :)

aileen

jcrow 01-06-2014 01:18 PM

guidelines4quilting.com has a Prep-Tool that will give you a 'scant 1/4" seam'. You can also buy from them 'Seam Guides' to place at the scant 1/4" spot. I highly recommend this tool and guides.

carolynjo 01-06-2014 01:43 PM

My advice to my students is to NOT look at the needle; it's not going anywhere except up and down. Keep your eye on where the fabric is going, especially as you get to the end. I sometimes, also, use a whole pack of extra-sticky post-its stuck down on the face plate to form a dam for the fabric to push against.

ManiacQuilter2 01-06-2014 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 6494872)
I wouldn't stress out about the 1/4 inch. Consistency usually is good enough for most blocks. Granted some patterns, it matters but many it doesn't. If seams are consistent, it doesn't matter if the block ends up 8 1/8 instead of 8 1/2. The quilt turns out so close to the same. My bee does a friend block once a month. Someone's name is drawn and they choose a block to be made for next time. The blocks are never the same size. Different eyes, different people, different machines.

This is so true. I use to get a lot of blocks from quilt guild exchanges. I used patterns that would compensate for the different sizes like a block in a block on point. It is NOT worth getting frustrated over. Just be consistent with your seam width and your quilt will come out fine. What I enjoy doing is making blocks a bit oversized. Then when I have done the final pressing, I trim it and it is perfect !! Just remember, you are suppose to be having FUN!!!

ro 01-06-2014 07:12 PM

bella boo i wanted you to know that is exactly what i am doin now in addition to, starting w/a scrap. the finger for me seems to be working just fine.

ro 01-06-2014 07:14 PM

carolyn jo when i first started and even up to 2 weeks ago, a very good instructor kept telling me to look at the needle. and that's what i was doin. i am now trying "trying" to look at the fabric same as when you drive a car steer the fabric. thank you.

i must say there were so many wonderful tips and i am trying each and every one to see what works for me. i appreciate everyones help.