Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about cutting boards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-cutting-boards-t274888.html)

quilttiger 01-25-2016 06:00 AM

I have used a couple 36 by 60 inch mats from Joann Fabrics over the years. A few years ago I bought the Big Mat by Sewing Emporium as a show special. This turned out to be a good decision because the rotary cutting blades last longer and they cut smoothly. That was when I learned the cutting mat does make a difference when it comes to the longevity of cutting blades. www.sewingemporium.com It is worth a look.

Mary73162 01-25-2016 06:06 AM

Occasionally I wash and dry my mat (while it lays flat on table) Seems to help.

Melanie Rudy 01-25-2016 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7443578)
No one has yet addressed the type of cutting mat you are using.
There are mats and then there are MATS!! Olfa cutting mats are one of the latter. They are truly self-healing and do NOT destroy your blade. There are many cheaper mats on the market; consider that you get what you pay for.

Jan in VA

I agree with Jan. I had one inexpensive mat that was awful. I then bought an Olfa mat. It is definitely the best and worth buying.

Ikesgram 01-25-2016 08:46 AM

I have wondered if my old decrepit mat could be used for the bottom insert for the bags we make for ourselves and others. Cut up into the right size pieces, it certainly would be removable when washing a bag.

Just a thought.....

llong0233 01-25-2016 09:38 AM

It's probably not the blade. Even the cheapest blade will cut very for a while. Check your reassembly after changing the blade. Something else is wrong for sure. Please let us know what it was as many of us have the same problem....I for one can't see to get the darn thing back together right!

DresiArnaz 01-25-2016 09:55 AM

I had a gray Fiskars for almost 25 years that I cut clean through. I have to get over having a favorite spot on the board.

Onebyone 01-25-2016 10:18 AM

When my mat starts showing cutting lines I get another. It makes a big difference. I love how a sharp blade cuts on a good mat so why not have that experience with every fabric cutting job?

madamekelly 01-25-2016 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7443578)
No one has yet addressed the type of cutting mat you are using.
There are mats and then there are MATS!! Olfa cutting mats are one of the latter. They are truly self-healing and do NOT destroy your blade. There are many cheaper mats on the market; consider that you get what you pay for.

Jan in VA

Jan- just adding a note to say I have found that if you knock on a cutting board you are considering, you want one with the dullest thud noise. Sharper sounds are too hard, and you will have slipping, and sliding as you cut. I used a lousy one for years until I accidentally ordered a good one on Amazon. Wow, I was torturing myself and had no idea!

onaemtnest 01-25-2016 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiger (Post 7444912)
I have used a couple 36 by 60 inch mats from Joann Fabrics over the years. A few years ago I bought the Big Mat by Sewing Emporium as a show special. This turned out to be a good decision because the rotary cutting blades last longer and they cut smoothly. That was when I learned the cutting mat does make a difference when it comes to the longevity of cutting blades. www.sewingemporium.com It is worth a look.

Thank-you for the link to this mat! I would think that any mat that offers a five year warranty is worth looking at. I'm calling them now to find out how much shipping to my address will be.

M cubed 01-25-2016 02:50 PM

Be sure to give your mat a good "bath." Use warm water and let it sit on top of your mat for at least 10 minutes, then pat dry with a clean lint free towel. It makes cutting a whole lot easier and prolongs the life of the mat. Also, put ONE DROP of oil on you blade when you reassemble your cutter (a cleaning process, not necessary with a new blade). Don't forget to back off 1/4 turn on the nut or the blade won't be able to rotate easily (hello sore shoulders and wrists). If all that fails, you should probably get a new mat