Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about matching seams... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-matching-seams-t192397.html)

babalu 06-21-2012 11:52 AM

Question about matching seams...

I am about 1/3 of the way through piecing a Disappearing 9 Patch top. When I sewed the original 9 patches together, I pressed the seams to one side. Now that I am mixing up the individual squares, I find that sometimes I must sew two patches together where both are pressesd to the same side. I am having a hard time matching those seams accurately! Does anyone have a 'trick' for matching these seams? Thanks in advance for any advice...

scrapngmom 06-21-2012 12:10 PM

I don't know the answer, but I too have had the same problem. Will be watching this thread.

GemState 06-21-2012 12:16 PM

Probably the easiest solution is to press your seams open. They don't nest together quite as well but a pin usually does the trick.

EvelynJ 06-21-2012 12:25 PM

I usually try to press all of my seams open when possible and if my seam is off (I know they are) I just try to hold the pieces until they are as lined up as possible (some never will be) and just pass it really slowly through my sewing machine. Just remember quilting is fun and if someone wanted perfection hand made is not the way to go. LOL

sewmary 06-21-2012 12:41 PM

I always press seams open now on my quilting. Always did it for clothes sewing and don't know why I didn't continue. It is really easy to match seams when they are pressed open.

Scissor Queen 06-21-2012 12:59 PM

Back up 6 feet or so. Can you still see it? If you can't, then don't worry about it so much.

DawnFurlong 06-21-2012 01:08 PM

I sometimes have that problem too. I really try to plan out how I press my seams so that I get nesting seams. But when that doesn't work out so well, I usually choose to flip one seam in the opposing direction and finger press, then pin. However, after more reading about everyone's preferences regarding pressing the seams to one side or open - I am seriously considering trying out open on my next quilt.

kd7kyo 06-21-2012 01:11 PM

the way i have heard how to fix and get seams to nest is on the 9 patch you iron the seams to go to the left of the line and then next row goes to the right. and then flips when you put the block together the seams will "lock" or "nest" into place.

Another way that is gaining popularity is pressing them open. I used to do this and had great results. but my dear old mentor at quilting lectured me in the not to press open.

judy363905 06-21-2012 01:20 PM

This may not be the "correct" way to overcome this issue... but .. I just re-press about 1/2" of the offending seam... nest .... sew and then clip the seam allowance I sewed to allow it to return to original position..I use the pinwheel method to flatten the joined seams of the 4 connecting blocks...this works for me be it wrong or right... :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

kathy 06-21-2012 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by judy363905 (Post 5306524)
This may not be the "correct" way to overcome this issue... but .. I just re-press about 1/2" of the offending seam... nest .... sew and then clip the seam allowance I sewed to allow it to return to original position..I use the pinwheel method to flatten the joined seams of the 4 connecting blocks...this works for me be it wrong or right... :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

that's exactly how I do it