Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about shipping - would you be upset if ...? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-shipping-would-you-upset-if-t62487.html)

majormom 09-02-2010 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
One of the guages I use for measuring the integrity of an on-line shop is how the shipping charges measure up. Those that really only charge the actual shipping or maybe a few cents over I believe have integrity. Those that use larger boxes than needed, charge a handling fee, or ingeneral do not manage the shipping part to benefit the consumer are my last choice.
I would be glad to get a lower cost for shipping ....if I really wanted I can re- bundle the contents myself.

I am now with you! I just received a package shipped from bevfabriccrafts in which were two square omnigrid rulers. One ruler was 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches, and the other was 4 inches by 4 inches. It was shipped in a box that was 18"x24"x18" !!!!! The shipping was over $8.00. I didn't pay attention to the shipping cost at the time I ordered, and boy did I pay big time. I will never order from this outfit again. It's my own fault, I agree, but an outfit that pulls that kind of rip off is no better than a thief.

Rowan8 09-02-2010 09:28 AM

Take out the fancy stuff. Make sure the package is secure and post. Lower costs for all.

fivepaws 09-02-2010 10:03 AM

Great idea. Shipping costs have kept me from completing an order many times.

grann of 6 09-02-2010 10:44 AM

Just to let you all know. Right now nancysnotions.com is having a free shipping offer if you are on their e-mail llist. She has this every once & a while. I am going to see what bargains she has and maybe take advantage of it. That is my way of telling a merchant that is important to me so they will have the free shipping offer again.

theoldgraymare 09-02-2010 11:06 AM

The shipping charges are one of the first considerations when I start looking at an online shop. It would take an incredible sale to make up for the shipping charges at some of them.

judykay 09-02-2010 01:49 PM

I go for cheaper shipping costs. I just canceled an order for earrings as they wanted $4.95 for shipping and it put the earrings over my budget. If it is a gift you can aways tie a pretty ribbon around the package.

garysgal 09-02-2010 03:11 PM

When I order strips from Connecting Threads, they flatten them so they fit better and the shipping is cheaper. Unless I order something else as well, but most places I have ordered from flatten them out. I don't care how they do it so I pay less shipping, as long as the fabric stays nice and isn't damaged.

bearlea 09-02-2010 04:25 PM

Well this weekend I ordered a yard of fabric from a quilt shop in LA...I miss cut one from a kit and needed it to finish ...anyway they charged my 4.95 shipping on a yard of fabric..when it came today their actual shipping cost was 1.70...now I am all for someone making a profit but I had already paid the $9 for the yard of fabric which would have been profit...I was just a little irrated that the charged me more than double of their cost...I won't be ordering from them again I don't think..but who knows...I believe you should save the customer without sacraficing your profit as well...blessings

luvTooQuilt 09-02-2010 04:44 PM

Well I'm mixed on it..

Now if it was fabric for my own personal stash then yea, have at it, remove the ribbon. Ill take the cheaper S/H.. But if it was a gift for someone then I really would like it to look pretty.....

seasaw2mch 09-02-2010 05:25 PM

My question is, "Does this question really need to be asked with the economy the way it is?" For haven sake, any little bit of saving a person can get, they should be gracious and not complain about how pretty the package looks but how much they saved.