Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question/survey...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-survey-t192962.html)

kuntryquilter 06-29-2012 03:34 AM

I cut it all before I start sewing.

mjsylvstr 06-29-2012 04:38 AM

I do PPing and try to cut all little bitty pieces out first. Most of these patterns will give the cutting sizes and it does same a lot of time once the sewing begins.

jeanneb52 06-29-2012 04:47 AM

It depends on my mood. I do make a few blocks quickly and then just keep checking it out. Sometimes I want to change something and if I had cut it all I couldn't.

orangeroom 06-29-2012 04:53 AM

All depends on what kind of quilt I'm making and what the directions tell me to do. If I've made the quilt before, and I can figure out a short cut, I take it. I do like to have things already cut out. That way if I'm walking through my sewing studio and I've got 5 minutes, I can squeeze in a little sewing time!

Suzan88 06-29-2012 05:06 AM

I'd be overwhelmed if I cut everything out first as I improvise a lot and seem to have an aversion to cutting into yardage - I work a lot with scraps. I have no color memory so I have to see it develop to decide what works well together.

Latrinka 06-29-2012 05:07 AM

It depends on what pattern. For warm wishes or D9P, I cut all the pieces for the blocks. But I never cut the sashing, borders, or binding until I get to that point. Usually I don't even know for sure what I'll be using anyway, as I'm a visual person, and like to see how it looks as I go. Right now I'm working on a dresden, so I have all the blades cut, and I'm putting the plates together. Haven't even decided on the center yet. Have decided on background for plates, but haven't cut them yet. Just do what works for you! Happy quilting!

bglock1 06-29-2012 05:34 AM

I cut the pieces for the blocks and sashings, sew them, and then cut for borders. I usually add or subtract blocks and rows, so I always wait to cut the borders. When I do appliqué, I cut those pieces, and sew them and then cut the rest. Of course, I've only done appliqué as a block, not over top of strips.

bibi 06-29-2012 05:47 AM

Having just completed my first full-sized (queen) top I cut some pieces and then had them sewn together as individual blocks. I then continued the same process until all the blocks were completed. Prior to that (for smaller projects) I cut the pieces first and then had them sewn all at once.

Rose Bagwell 06-29-2012 05:53 AM

I cut the main body of the quilt and sew , then do the sashings borders later.

roseirish48 06-29-2012 05:54 AM

depending on the quilt pattern i'm using. If loads of pieces in block, i will cuta few t a time and sew them. I usually save sashing and borders til last but I check directions to see if cut from LOF or WOF and cut otehr pieces needed of that fabric rom only one side so that I keep full length of fabric if needed