Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt In A Day - Or Years? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-day-years-t97822.html)

Joy Higdon 02-08-2011 07:38 AM

Is it just that I am so slow or do any of you have a problem with those quilt in a day projects? I finally after about 3 yrs pulled a project out of the bag and started it. It is one of those quilt in a day patterns. Grandmother's Flower Garden. My goodness it took more than a day to cut it. Then each step in piecing the basket takes pressing, measuring and squaring. After the baskets are pieced I still have to hand applique all the flowers in the basket. So much for quilt in a day.

Connie in CO 02-08-2011 07:44 AM

One thing the Quilt in a Day is her trade name?I would applique while watching TV.I think it's well worth your time.

MaryStoaks 02-08-2011 07:44 AM

I've been quilting for many years and I can't do the Quilt in a Day in one day. The very easy patterns (like Turning Twenty) can be done in a day. The bigger pieces and fewer of them go together fast.

thimblebug6000 02-08-2011 07:51 AM

On my appliqué quilt in a day, I took a block a month class at guild.... once I finished the quilt, I named it "It's a Long Day!

sewwhat85 02-08-2011 07:53 AM

when we have our quilting retreat and sew from 7am to 12 pm some us about 1/2 can get a whole top done with borders.YEA so much fun last weekend in feb I cant wait

Annaquilts 02-08-2011 07:54 AM

LOL It is the trade name. You could make a small top out of the log cabin pattern in one day but many of the other patterns take much longer and I think you have one of the more intensive ones. Very pretty pattern though.

jkwynn 02-08-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
On my appliqué quilt in a day, I took a block a month class at guild.... once I finished the quilt, I named it "It's a Long Day!

Lol! :mrgreen:

millivanillisask 02-08-2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
Is it just that I am so slow or do any of you have a problem with those quilt in a day projects? I finally after about 3 yrs pulled a project out of the bag and started it. It is one of those quilt in a day patterns. Grandmother's Flower Garden. My goodness it took more than a day to cut it. Then each step in piecing the basket takes pressing, measuring and squaring. After the baskets are pieced I still have to hand applique all the flowers in the basket. So much for quilt in a day.

No, It is just a trade name takes me a day to make my mind up of what pattern to make and then a week reassuring myself that I can do it.

rivka 02-08-2011 08:17 AM

Maybe it means a crib sized quilt in a day? :)

the casual quilter 02-08-2011 08:31 AM

Eleanor Burns has seminars where she teaches from her Quilt in A Day series of books, and a lot of her students do get tops done in a day. I've never been able to do that, and could only do it if a day had 1,392 hours in it!