Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt In A Day - Or Years?

Blog Entries
    Is it just that I am so slow or do any of you have a problem with those quilt in a day projects? I finally after about 3 yrs pulled a project out of the bag and started it. It is one of those quilt in a day patterns. Grandmother's Flower Garden. My goodness it took more than a day to cut it. Then each step in piecing the basket takes pressing, measuring and squaring. After the baskets are pieced I still have to hand applique all the flowers in the basket. So much for quilt in a day.

Blog Entries
    One thing the Quilt in a Day is her trade name?I would applique while watching TV.I think it's well worth your time.

I've been quilting for many years and I can't do the Quilt in a Day in one day. The very easy patterns (like Turning Twenty) can be done in a day. The bigger pieces and fewer of them go together fast.

On my appliqué quilt in a day, I took a block a month class at guild.... once I finished the quilt, I named it "It's a Long Day!

when we have our quilting retreat and sew from 7am to 12 pm some us about 1/2 can get a whole top done with borders.YEA so much fun last weekend in feb I cant wait

LOL It is the trade name. You could make a small top out of the log cabin pattern in one day but many of the other patterns take much longer and I think you have one of the more intensive ones. Very pretty pattern though.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    On my appliqué quilt in a day, I took a block a month class at guild.... once I finished the quilt, I named it "It's a Long Day!
    Lol! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
    Is it just that I am so slow or do any of you have a problem with those quilt in a day projects? I finally after about 3 yrs pulled a project out of the bag and started it. It is one of those quilt in a day patterns. Grandmother's Flower Garden. My goodness it took more than a day to cut it. Then each step in piecing the basket takes pressing, measuring and squaring. After the baskets are pieced I still have to hand applique all the flowers in the basket. So much for quilt in a day.
    No, It is just a trade name takes me a day to make my mind up of what pattern to make and then a week reassuring myself that I can do it.

Banned
    Maybe it means a crib sized quilt in a day? :)

Banned
    Eleanor Burns has seminars where she teaches from her Quilt in A Day series of books, and a lot of her students do get tops done in a day. I've never been able to do that, and could only do it if a day had 1,392 hours in it!

Quilt in a ________ is what it should be. Some of could find some pretty creative words for that blank I bet. I think I saw a thread today quilt in my caboose or something like that. Me and my friends joke about the "quilt in a day" all the time. If only there were more hours in a day and I could be guaranteed that a portion of them could only be used for quilting.

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    My quilt in a day has taken me four or five years! I am still not done, cuz I ran out of fabric! LOL!

I've done some of her (Eleanor Burns) patterns, and have managed to get the top sewn together in a day.
    Have since moved on to other more intricate patterns, but they were great learning lessons!

Blog Entries
    I think it's just her trademark now. But I just finished one which I could easily have done in a day if I'd had a whole day to devote to sewing. It went together pretty fast for me.

i have done many "quilt in a day star quilts" from E Burns and have no trouble finishing in 7 or 8 hours. it is a great pattern for making a gift real quick and turns out really pretty. it then takes me a few hours to quilt it on my domestic machine and bind it. erma bauer, ks

I have done a Quilt in A Day... I had my three daughters here to help me! There is no way I can do it and I don't think that is the real meaning behind QIAD. I like to enjoy the process and if I had to make all my quilts in a day I would just quit quilting.

Vicky

I wish I had a whole day to sew. And no, I can't finish her quilt in one day. Took a class and after 4 hours still had not finished cutting. But I know I am slow. I did one of the Patchwork Party quilts and 1 block took me almost 8 hours just to cut!

Look at your beautiful avatar! Maybe it takes you more than a day because you obviously savor what you do, and you do absolutely beautiful work! Who cares what the title says? I love your work!

I think the original idea of "quilt in a day" was for a class. You and a friend did the quilt. One was cutting and pressing while the other did the stitching. Most of the simpler quilt tops could actually be completed in an 8 hour class. It was just for the top and not the quilting and binding. I remember when this first came out and shops etc. had quilt in a day classes. In the shops they usually had this on two days. Then the two stitchers could change places and both ended up with a top "in a day".

Usually , I can`t even pick out the fabrics in one day!

Sounds like I am the odd one here but I have done several quilt in a day log cabins. They take a day for a king size and that is from strip cutting to tieing the quilt. Now that was when I had a better back. Now it takes me a couple of days. But a few years ago I made 19 Log Cabins between Thanksgiving and Christmas for gifts. They were all sizes from baby to king. Not thinking I could do that anymore. I do have Eleanor Burns still stripping that I want to make some quilts from. All of my quickie quilts made like this are meant to be used and not be for shows and keepsakes.
    JeanneZ

I started with one of Eleanor Burns "QIADay) in 4 hours, I was able to make a few squares.. went home, made the other squares, and finished the top the nest day at home... A wonderful learning experience... We learned to cut, pin, stitch, sew, and continue... Went to a wonderful quilt shop, and have been working ever since... (The first quilt shop was lousy, and went out of business quickly after that..) Diana

I made that one years ago, and it took me some time. Don't give up, it will turn out beautiful.

No, not your problem. I went to a quilt in a day class and had to come back the next week (so did everyone else) to just finish the top. the quilting and binding took another day. False advertising??!!?? LOL!

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Lol* I don't know if I could finish many of those Quilt in a Day tops in a day either. I did a disappearing 9 patch a few years ago...I think she calls it a Tossed 9 Patch...in a day as a project to do with my Mom who is new to quilting. Some of her techniques, while they may not be something I could zip right through, are really clever and faster than some of the older piecing methods though. ;)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast