Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt labels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-labels-t246868.html)

#1piecemaker 05-15-2014 08:57 PM

Quilt labels

Do you put quilt labels on your finished quilts? If so, do you make them yourselves or does someone make them for you?? Or, do you buy them pre-made?

Painiacs 05-15-2014 09:05 PM

I put them on gifts. Ive done both, made my own n had some made by qb member.

Silver Needle 05-15-2014 09:17 PM

I use my embroidery machine. Then put a piece on top right sides together. I stitch around it using curved corners I've drawn with small plastic lid. When done I carefully slit the backing. Turn right side out and hand stitch to quilt with invisible ladder stitch.

Victoria L 05-15-2014 10:02 PM

I make mine.

wanda lou 05-16-2014 01:29 AM

I make mine.

ckcowl 05-16-2014 01:41 AM

I make mine- it depends on the individual quilt what the label will be like- I have 'labels' books from Joanne fabrics that have 50 or 60 different 'iron on' labels you can choose from (the books are about $12 and each label can be used 2 or 3 times) they are for all kinds of different (events) - you iron them onto your fabric- fill in the spaces with the 'personal' information with a micron permanent pigma pen then sew on your label- or you can iron them right onto the quilt if you want. I also have 'premade' labels that are purchased by the yard (I think the ones I have right now are Thimbleberries) again- they are different sizes, designs and you fill in the details. I use the computer to design my own labels- then print them onto fabric- sometimes I embroider a label. there are many options available and ways to label your quilts. the 'bare minimum' to include on a quilt label (for me) is the name of the quilt, designer if it's not my design, my name, city, state, date, fiber content and care instructions- if it is a quilt for a special occasion or a special person I add information about that- if I do not know who will get it {charity, give away quilts } then they generally just have the minimum- but they all get a label of some sort.

sharisews 05-16-2014 02:09 AM

I do put labels on all of my quilts. Some are embroidered. Some I have made using a tutorial from the internet that are made on the computer and printed onto fabric.

GailG 05-16-2014 02:40 AM

I have done it by making a separate label or by writing directly on the quilt. My machine "writes" so I've done labels by including the name of the person receiving the quilt, the occasion (birthday, graduation, baptism, etc.), my name, date. This is appliqued to a lower corner of the backing. I've also used a permanent pen to write directly on the backing. Sometimes it's been as simple as "by Gail.......... " and the date. My dilemma has always been whether to apply the label before quilting or after. I have always appliqued it by hand after the quilt has been quilted and bound. And I've wondered if that is the better practice.

QuiltnNan 05-16-2014 03:24 AM

i make mine with my embroidery machine. i like Silver Needle's turn method :thumbup:

ManiacQuilter2 05-16-2014 03:48 AM

I have bought labels that have designs printed on fabrics then I can write the information on and stitch it to the back.