Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt or Not to Quilt? That is the question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-not-quilt-question-t285552.html)

quiltingcandy 01-26-2017 11:07 PM

I am not going to be much help - because it is really up to you to decide. If she is still in contact with your parents and she is achieving a long time goal, it would be a nice gesture to make her a quilt. Otherwise, if she is a friend then a card would suffice.

quilterpurpledog 01-27-2017 03:58 AM

You can never know ahead of time what emotion your thoughtfulness is going to evoke. If your heart says to be generous, then be generous. You are not responsible for the outcome. But, as I read your post, I think that there has to be some reason for her reaching out to you from time to time. If you can't feel gracious as opposed to obligated, don't do it. She will never know your dither kind of feelings.

Karamarie 01-27-2017 05:20 AM

Many of us make quilts to donate and don't have any idea who those go to so I think it would be very kind of you to send a quilt to her.

Cogito 01-27-2017 05:59 AM

I never thought of it this way but that is an excellent point! I will remember this next time I hesitate to give a quilt as a gift.

Originally Posted by Karamarie (Post 7750490)
Many of us make quilts to donate and don't have any idea who those go to so I think it would be very kind of you to send a quilt to her.

Daisy Dew 01-27-2017 06:03 AM

Throughout my life I have found that the fleeting thought is best followed through.

dottiemae 01-27-2017 06:12 AM

How about a set of quilted mug rugs? It is the thought behind it and where you aren't all that close a small item shows just as much appreciation. They work up faster and won't interfere with your bigger projects. I think it is a wonderful idea and shows you care and want to show appreciation and a congratulations on her graduation. please share what you decide to do.

Innov8R 01-27-2017 07:46 AM

Kindness is always in good taste.

RedGarnet222 01-27-2017 08:03 AM

I don't know about you girls, but ... Since I am older it is getting harder and harder to find a great friend who you can share interests with and tell all of your secrets to, have a good laugh and just rely on. If your friendship is a good one, why not give her something nice to snuggle with? I have never gifted a quilt that I had giver's remorse about. But, there were a couple I thought about that haunt me that I didn't. And now it is too late to give any sweet comfort.

annette1952 01-27-2017 08:38 AM

It takes a special kind of person to be a nurse. They have a big heart & give their "all" everyday. ( Most of them anyways) If it was me I would make her a lap quilt or one of the other thoughtful gifts mentioned if you have time to do it. I'm sure she will just love it. Whatever your decision, it will be the right decision for you & your circumstances. No right & no wrong! lol

EmiliasNana 01-27-2017 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog (Post 7750451)
You can never know ahead of time what emotion your thoughtfulness is going to evoke. If your heart says to be generous, then be generous. You are not responsible for the outcome. But, as I read your post, I think that there has to be some reason for her reaching out to you from time to time. If you can't feel gracious as opposed to obligated, don't do it. She will never know your dither kind of feelings.

Love this response. I gifted a quilt to my aunt whom I hadn't seen but had corresponded with at Christmas. It was the beginning of a wonderful close relationship for the remainder of her days. I always try and err on the generous side.