Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are Quilters a Dying Breed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilters-dying-breed-t137577.html)

arimuse 07-16-2011 05:48 AM

I think it will carry on. Humans seem to need creative outlets (or they just get into troubel -lol). With all the techno electronic stuff out there they have less and less to really keep their minds occupied (I mean! there is only so much gossip and nonsense you can stuff in you head by texts/tweets/ etc). People need something, something they can touch, see, feel: gardens, arts, crafts, sewing, quilting etc. Something that lets you see something in your mind and then bring it into being, where you can say, I made that from start to finish, from my brain thru my hands. sharet

Marvel 07-16-2011 07:00 AM

Hi. Once after a move with a 2 yr old I put an add in the local paper and offer free lessons to people in terested in quilting or learning. I met some great ladies and we sewed a lot together. Do Not let quilting pass, teach someone else and discover how mush fun it can be. Helen

Amythyst02 07-16-2011 07:18 AM

I don't think so, my DIL just taught her Girl Scout troop to quilt this last year. It was lots of fun, and the girls had a great time learning. I am just a beginner quilter too, and I am sure not giving it up!

JanieH 07-19-2011 02:29 PM

My 8 year old great niece wanted me to teach her about quilting this summer and she has made her first quilt. She also made a pillow. When her soon-to-be 15 year old brother saw the pillow, he asked if he could make one.

I think sewing and quilting are being passed on to our new generations.

lots2do 07-21-2011 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel

Originally Posted by lots2do
I do a small sewing project with my third graders. They love it! I did the same with my Cub Scout den when my son was younger. It takes a little justification to do it within the curriculum boundaries (testing is all important these days) but I figure it might just take one small experience to light the spark for later (for the boys, too). Plus I know creating is a stress buster for me so I hope it might be for some of them down the road.

You know, when I read that you do that with your third graders, I remembered one thing I did when I was in third. We were studying the underground railroad, and whether this is true or not, my teacher told us that people used to hang quilts out of windows to tell people which way to go to get to a safe house or something like that. She then gave us 16 x 16 pieces of card stock and told us we were going to make quilt blocks with construction paper then everyone would vote on the best and all the blocks would be put in our social studies fair the school had that year. My block won (wow, big surprise there, my mom quilts!) but my mom offered to bring in some quilts to add to the display. There were so many kids saying how pretty they were, and then there were some upset moms saying "no wonder she won, look what her mom does" I just remember so many of my friends saying I was lucky to have such pretty blankets in my house! But I don't know if anyone actually made any quilts, but everyone had fun making there quilt blocks!

wow I'm posting a lot on this thread, I just keep thinking how true so many of these comments are and it reminds me of something else!

Thanks for sharing your third grade story. It's a great one. And you won on your own talent...which may have been passed along by your Mom. I hope someone I've had remembers their experience creating with me. You've given me hope! :) Thanks again.

lots2do 07-21-2011 01:54 PM

Also with all of this tech. stuff, there seems to be a resurgent return to doing things by hand: gardening, cooking, crafting etc.