Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are Quilters a Dying Breed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilters-dying-breed-t137577.html)

auntpiggylpn 07-14-2011 10:04 AM

I was just looking at a picture here on the board about someone's 5 or 6 year old niece wanting to sew. I'm wondering if quilting will go by the wayside with today's youth? They all seem so preoccupied with all the electronic gadgets: Ipones, Ipads, Ipods, tablets, laptops, Hi-def TV, video games. I know that I got my interest in sewing and quilting by watching my mother and my great aunt but I have never had any friends that sewed or quilted. It seems to be the trend for young people today to do everything as fast as you can and if some gadget will do it for you, that's even better!

bj 07-14-2011 10:10 AM

I don't think it will die as an art. We have lots of young folks on here who are quilters, like you say, as young as 5 or 6. Crafts seem to be cyclical, but art is not. I have a 25 yo niece who has started sewing making pillow case dresses for her daughter. If (and I think she will) she asks me to help her learn to quilt, I will sooooo gladly do that. My 6 yo grandson likes to help me, so when he's a little older I think he may be interested (if his dad will keep out of it!). :-D :-D

gaigai 07-14-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I was just looking at a picture here on the board about someone's 5 or 6 year old niece wanting to sew. I'm wondering if quilting will go by the wayside with today's youth? They all seem so preoccupied with all the electronic gadgets: Ipones, Ipads, Ipods, tablets, laptops, Hi-def TV, video games. I know that I got my interest in sewing and quilting by watching my mother and my great aunt but I have never had any friends that sewed or quilted. It seems to be the trend for young people today to do everything as fast as you can and if some gadget will do it for you, that's even better!

Obviously you haven't looked at the membership numbers here, or at the attendance at the big quilt festivals. That would answer your question immediately. And the answer is No.

auntpiggylpn 07-14-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I don't think it will die as an art. We have lots of young folks on here who are quilters, like you say, as young as 5 or 6. Crafts seem to be cyclical, but art is not. I have a 25 yo niece who has started sewing making pillow case dresses for her daughter. If (and I think she will) she asks me to help her learn to quilt, I will sooooo gladly do that. My 6 yo grandson likes to help me, so when he's a little older I think he may be interested (if his dad will keep out of it!). :-D :-D

LOL about the dad! I wish people would realize that sewing and quilting, like everything else in the world is not gender specific anymore!!! I have tried to educate my friends on the wonders of sewing and quilting but they think quilts are just to be put on beds and don't appreciate the skill, work and time involved in making one. They also think that sewing is useful only when they need something made or fixed and then they appreciate that I am capable and willing to do it!!!

auntpiggylpn 07-14-2011 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn

Obviously you haven't looked at the membership numbers here, or at the attendance at the big quilt festivals. That would answer your question immediately. And the answer is No.

I guess I am drawing from my own environment. I am the only one in a large group of people who sews or quilts and has any appreciation for these skills. I have read the posts and seen the pictures on this site and I know that there are young and old members alike and members are involving their young children, but this is also a specific purpose driven site.

kountrykreation 07-14-2011 10:23 AM

For me it's a hobby, craft, or art, and as in any form of relaxation, there will always be an interest from folks to acquire the skill. What has died is the necessity. It was a skill acquired out of need years ago, therefore, possibly more people with the skill of sewing, quilting, etc. When I was in elementary school all of my school clothes were hand sewn, nothing purchased from a store until I entered high school. Only because it was more economical. Now you can't make a shirt yourself any cheaper than you can purchase a ready made shirt, and truth be known, it'll probably cost a lot more than the store bought one, just for the cost of fabric. Possibly why its not as common as it once was?

wolph33 07-14-2011 10:42 AM

no not dying-many young ones are getting into it.look at all the fabric choices we have,quilting is a huge industry now.that may change if the economy drops -maybe.but we have large stashes and can sew for ever :lol: :lol: :lol:

AbbyQuilts 07-14-2011 10:46 AM

I think the art of quilting and the enjoyment it brings will not die.
It was my niece who wanted to sew. She has been wanting for years now since she was 3 or so. We played around with it before but this is her first project. I think this is going to start something in her and now she is going to want to do a project every week! I would be thrilled if she did.

I dont want to push it on her. My mom was a sewer (seamstress, alterations) She pushed sewing on me hard and for years I didn't want anything to do with it. I hated sewing and sewing machines. When I had to sew it was by hand.
So I am going slow and let her guide me and not the other way around.
I am only 27 so I am young in the quilting world so I have hope that it will stick around

Glassquilt 07-14-2011 10:46 AM

It is an outlet for creativity. Potholders, placements, pillows, lap quilts, wall hangings, curtains. Anything can be made a quilt. As a gift to a friend or relative, nothing beats the love that's in it.

Besides sewing quilts is easier than sewing clothing since you don't have to fit the flat fabric to bodily curves.

auntpiggylpn 07-14-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I think the art of quilting and the enjoyment it brings will not die.
It was my niece who wanted to sew. She has been wanting for years now since she was 3 or so. We played around with it before but this is her first project. I think this is going to start something in her and now she is going to want to do a project every week! I would be thrilled if she did.

I dont want to push it on her. My mom was a sewer (seamstress, alterations) She pushed sewing on me hard and for years I didn't want anything to do with it. I hated sewing and sewing machines. When I had to sew it was by hand.
So I am going slow and let her guide me and not the other way around.
I am only 27 so I am young in the quilting world so I have hope that it will stick around

Me too!!!!