Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are Quilters a Dying Breed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilters-dying-breed-t137577.html)

Jennalyn 07-14-2011 11:33 AM

I'm 25 and just started quilting last year. I love it! Found myself a Featherweight and piecing's a breeze. I have so much to learn.

That being said, I also love video games, laptops, iPods, etc. ;)

We're a varied bunch!

plainpat 07-14-2011 12:03 PM

Quilting has changed so much over the last 20-30 yrs & it will continue to change. Might not be the type of quilting we do now, but it will survive.
In many cases, it's not until kids are grown that we have the time & money to put into a personal hobby.
My feeling is,quilting will really take off into unknown areas if/when the economy gets back to normal.Who knows? The world, it is a changing :)

Ripped on Scotch 07-14-2011 12:37 PM

I'm considered a young one at guild meetings, I'm only 30. but I'm also the guild's president. So it's out there still.

Mattee 07-14-2011 02:42 PM

Actually, "dying" is the more frequently accepted spelling. Although both may be used, traditionalists certainly prefer "dying."

As for a dying art, I don't think that it is, but it would help if older generations did their part to make it more accessible to the younger generations, if they want to pass down the tradition. I've had a lot of very discouraging encounters with ladies who feel that I, as a young person, must be doing something wrong or have some sort of weird motivation for being in a quilt shop.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
see...the wording of the Title "dying breed" had me yelling YES>>....we LOVE to DYE......

as for Dieing..I doubt it...way too many cool gadgets to keep the "get it done NOW" generation interested!
The day they are told to do anything the REAL way...they will drop it in a heartbeat...

NOW will it die in the traditional quilting sense..NO...this is a HUGE industrial craft...it branches into so many different venues now that there will always be room for the traditional. Even now with more of the GREENIE movement you find more traditional means of sewing/quilting, etc popping up in blogs!

SuziC 07-14-2011 02:58 PM

I hope not! I think that if we all are able to exposs one child to quilting it will live on forever. Us adults need to take the time to show what we know and make it fun for kids instead of all the electronic they are growing up with. My 4yr old GD already wants to "learn to stitch" so i will teach her all i can.

KS quilter 07-14-2011 03:08 PM

Earlier this year my grandaughter and family visited with her mother (one of my daughter's...and then came to visit
us (her greatgrandmother & greatgrandfather. Her little girl 5, while
at her grandmothers embrodiered a quilt block..it was the
cross stitch embrodiery. My daughter said she watched intensely while she showed her how to do it...picked right up on it and did a great job. Her mother ( my granddaughter)
not being one to do any sewing or hand work was so pleased
that when she got to our town she took it down to the Gallery and had it framed. We are all hoping she got hooked on the needle, ha. When anybody would remark on it
she was quick to say "my grandma teached me how". Sometimes
it just takes someone that will take time to introduce them
to it. Here's hopeing!

quilttiludrop 07-14-2011 04:07 PM

My DIL has an embrodiery machine and loves to make things. For the new baby (born June 25, 2011), she made curtains, bed ruffles, pads, sheets, covers. Her mother embrodiered burp cloths. Her grandmother embroiders by hand. They are creative people! I think my granddaughters will grow up enjoying making things also!

pjemark 07-14-2011 06:24 PM

I actually think that quilting is picking up. Seems to me like more people are quilting today than in say the 80's and 90's.

Sewlmatesister 07-14-2011 06:26 PM

I don't think so either!!!!

cjsparks 07-14-2011 06:34 PM

My granddaughter sews in 4-H. I am her helper. I have to watch her. We both have Bernina's and she always wants me to bring all my attachments. I always have to take inventory of my feet or they migrate to her box. For birthdays and holidays, I let her choose her new foot.

You have to get them started early and make sure it is fun. I try to teach her the newest techniques (thanks Nancy Zieman). I haven't showed her my embroidery attachment. I know she will want to swap machines once she ever learns how to use it.