Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting for free ( when they want to pay) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-free-when-they-want-pay-t150498.html)

carolaug 09-06-2011 05:20 PM

I make quilts for many people for free...If asked I would say well once I am done if you would like you can get me a gift cert at my favorite LQS,,.

YolandaW 09-06-2011 06:07 PM

I have had this happen to me before, but not with quilts. The best way I believe to stop it is to tell them that by paying you then they deny you the joy of giving. Which is really what it's about. I told my neighbor this and she understood. I asked her if it made her feel good to give or do something for someone else "just because", and she said yes..and I said "if you insist on paying me then you take MY joy away. I really appreciate the offer but a simple thank you and a hug is more than enough".

I don't like the donate instead thing because then you still don't get the joy of just doing something for them for no reason.

wildyard 09-06-2011 06:19 PM

if you accept the money and use it to make charity quilts and donate them, then you have done 2 good deeds!! Then you can do something for them another time on your own.

debbieoh 09-06-2011 07:07 PM

Tell them you would rather have them make a donatation to a local chartity in your name

bob1414 09-07-2011 06:13 AM

Could you suggest that they donate the money that they insist on paying, to the American Heart Association or some charity? I mention the AHA because of the heart bypass you mention...just an idea.

2piecemaker 09-07-2011 08:20 AM

Hi quilting is not all about money. They sound like they care about your efforts and friendship to pay you for the service let them bless you as it may be their way of giving. Then do the utmost best to make the most awesome quilt. Maria

auntiehenno 09-08-2011 02:32 AM

If they insist, take the $ and donate it to a charity.

misseva 09-10-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by YolandaW
I have had this happen to me before, but not with quilts. The best way I believe to stop it is to tell them that by paying you then they deny you the joy of giving. Which is really what it's about. I told my neighbor this and she understood. I asked her if it made her feel good to give or do something for someone else "just because", and she said yes..and I said "if you insist on paying me then you take MY joy away. I really appreciate the offer but a simple thank you and a hug is more than enough".

I don't like the donate instead thing because then you still don't get the joy of just doing something for them for no reason.

I agree. By accepting the money your neighbor gets a blessing but robbs you of yours. I've had to explain that to some of my friends more than once. I know it's hard to be on the receiving end but we must, must learn to receive blessings graciously. Ask them how they would feel if no one would allow them to do something for free.

mayday 09-17-2011 10:58 PM

what a brilliant idea.

Just Me... 09-18-2011 04:28 AM

Don't offend them by not charging them. I know this sounds strange, but it makes some people uncomfortable. Charge the amount you are out in supplies and not for the labor. :)