Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Magazines-GRRRR!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazines-grrrr-t63148.html)

dixiechunk 09-06-2010 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I am retired from nursing now but for a long time quilting was my outlet too. Truth be known, my addiction to magazines came about partly because even if I was too tired to concentrate on the real act of quilt-making I could at least get lost in a magazine. Cut my teeth on Quilter's Newsletter Magazine back when it was a good pattern source. It was probably the last magazine I let go...after the original Lehman retired. Got too, well, artsy fartsy and political for me.

What kind of nursing do you do? My experience was mostly maternity, psychiatry, and IV therapy. Ended up my career working in-patient hospice. It was my calling but I found it too late.
My "real" job is so stressful. I am a nurse. Nothing more need be said. In my teaching and working with fabric for various project, a wrong cut is not life and death. My quilting is my destresser. How about you?

[/quote]

girardgirl61 09-06-2010 04:28 PM

Speaking of patterns does anyone have the "dressed to the nines" pattern which appeared in the April 09 issue of Quick Quilts. It is of little girl pinafore dresses appliqued on white background squares. I love it. I have looked at and loved it, but never could find a copy of the magazine. I have not gone to the library yet. Just wondering......

Quilting Nana 09-06-2010 04:31 PM

I have noticed that also. If I can't look through I will not buy.
It is their loss.

Annz 09-06-2010 04:42 PM

Hum food for thought.

Dee 09-06-2010 04:59 PM

I don't buy any anymore. Their repeats and ads. For the price I want to look at patterns, not dress sections. FP is wothless as far as I'm concerned.

jitkaau 09-06-2010 05:00 PM

We often get two or three past issue magazines bundled in with the new one. One can never see if the past issues are already in one's possession. Most of the ideas have been done to death, or are boring. The magazines are too expensive to take a punt on whether there will be something different or interesting in them. That means that I track the internet stuff and go to shows so that I can come up with my own versions from the inspiration. If I see a published quilter that I like, I will buy one of their books instead.

carrieg 09-06-2010 05:08 PM

I'm a little ticked at F&P right now. I let my subscription run out. I recently rec'd a dvd in the mail from them, but didn't open it for a few days. If I wanted to keep it, I was going to have to pay for it! I sent it straight back to them in their prepaid envelope! I did not appreciate them doing that!

iowabelle 09-06-2010 06:01 PM

I don't like wrapped magazines either. I can't remember what I've bought, and nothing ticks me off more than spending lots of money on a magazine only to go home, flip through a few pages and realize I've already bought it.
And I don't like all these CDs and other things that get wrapped in with them. And I hate all those subscription forms and other papers that spill out... just give me the magazine, please!

Earleen 09-06-2010 06:09 PM

Same here the DVD did not play for me either, the guys at Best Buy copied it onto another disc and that worked, more trouble than it was worth.

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I just received a free copy of Fons and Porter, that had a free DVD as a freebie. I'm glad I did not spend any money, since the DVD will not play on my imac! Grrrrrr!

garysgal 09-06-2010 06:54 PM

I hate that too, but what I have noticed now is that Fons & Porter (and others too, I'm sure) include the DVD's that those of us who have a subscription don't get. I think that is unfair. I have also noticed that Fons & Porter are putting clothing ads in their magazines. The one I just got had a catalog from some clothing company in the middle of the magazine. I'm sure it was F & P but I can't check because I tore the insert out and threw it away. I don't understand why they are doing that. I have decided not to renew any of my magazines because I miss out on all the DVD's and also since a lot of the time, there isn't one thing in the magazine that I want to make, so it is a waste of money to take it.