Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A quilting memory of my greatgrandmother and her sister (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-memory-my-greatgrandmother-her-sister-t33948.html)

Sharon - NC 01-14-2010 08:21 AM

Sandra,

What a rich legacy. Thank you for sharing your story. I could "see" them quilting together.

Debbie1 01-14-2010 08:24 AM

It sounds like you had an amazing Grandmother and she left you with just wonderful memories!

mar32428 01-14-2010 08:52 AM

Sounds like you lived in my Gram's house. The quilt was lowered from the ceiling when all the aunts gathered for their twice weekly sewing bee.

sweetsie 01-14-2010 09:21 AM

I'd sure like for the uncomplicated times back. It was
sure different back then.

mickey 01-14-2010 09:43 AM

I have may great grandmothers frame she gave it to my grandmother and my grandmother gave it to me.

mine are hewn out of popular and have holls drilled down the side and in the corners

Darlene 01-14-2010 10:20 AM

No one in my family was ever a quilter or sewer that I know of. My mother was a crocheter and made me a quilt from a kit which I still use. My MIL was a quilter and started one in the Depression and finally finished it in the 70's when she retired. She continued to quilt on her frame she bought at a garage sale. It was the kind that sat on the floor that you pinned the quilt and everything to. She is the one who got me interested in quilting although I have only made 2 large quilts. I have several she made us and they are being used. I love the story of the ladies in Georgia.

Bobbinwinder 01-14-2010 01:07 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely story. Yes, those grandmother memories do come to mind with greater intensity when we are waiting to become grandmothers too. My grandmother's love still comforts me and I've tried to pass that along to my granddaughter. How lucky your family is to have you! How lucky we are that you shared with us!

sewmom 01-14-2010 01:25 PM

When i was little my Mom belonged to a group the"sewing circle". before i went to school and in the summers when they met-once a month, i would play under the quilt frame. Mom had to be the youngest one there as the other ladies were probably grandmothers. their quilting frame sat on 4 stands. the quilts were thumbtacked to the boards and the boards were held together at the corners with c-clamps. they would roll it up as they went and was also portable b/c they met at different houses.Perhaps that was the first quilting seed that was planted for me.

Lyn 01-14-2010 01:47 PM

What lovely memories. As a kid we were transfered constantly and then I married a Naval Officer and moved even more. Never got to know my grandparents very well. Now that my DH has retired we have settled and I hope somday to have grandchildren and give them memories.

frostiedee 01-14-2010 02:02 PM

My Grandmother hand pieced her quilt tops in the summer, then quilted them in the winter. I remember her stitches being so tiny that it looked as if a machine had sewn it. Each stitch had to be just right. She too sold her quilts. Mostly she made them for family.