Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Pet Peeve (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-pet-peeve-t175445.html)

Jean in Ohio13452 01-14-2012 07:04 PM

Well I would tell them that You need to charge for the Thread used and you charge by the whole spool and for each color and for set up time for the pattern so if the Spool is $5 then she wants 5 colors then thats $25.00 just for the Thread and then its $10 for setting up pattern and then $1 for each color Change so by the time you tell her all this she won't want to bother you for a FREEBee... and that you need a piece of the fabric to practice on ..too

Edie 01-15-2012 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie (Post 4870459)
Dropped pins. I never know that they have dropped until my DH finds them. I think he is an expert in finding dropped pins. He always steps on them. I never step on any--just lucky i guess.
Sue

I did once - a needle - went into the bone of my big toe and I had to pull it out with a pliers - I am totally anal when it comes to dropping a needle or a pin - I go berserk until I find it! And when I do the whole world rejoices with me. Edie

happysteve 01-15-2012 03:51 AM

famous quote

Originally Posted by fabricfairy (Post 4869926)
I saved hard and went with out lots to buy a fancy embroidery machine
and some one who says Oh you can make this for me you have
that fancy machine and can do it much nicer than me.....of course never
offering to do anything for you of offering to pay . Really makes me angry .

Tis better to give than receive, it makes one feel all happy inside :-)

pasolovers 01-15-2012 04:22 AM

Ripping out what I just sewed...empty bobbins:mad:

Aurora 01-15-2012 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4870430)
My pet peeve is cheapo quilters who won't buy the specialty tool or ruler for a class but show up and expect to borrow it from those that do have it and have the instructor say that's okay, I'm sure everyone will share. I have to go tracking down my borrowed items when I need them. I go to a lot of classes and workshops and this seems to be a very common thing.

This is my only pet peeve. It is not always because they do not want to or won't buy a tool, it is because they don't want to be bothered bringing it to class or UFO and they know I will bring mine -- then I cannot use it because someone else is using it all day. I have several ruined tools because others did not take the same care with them that I do.

If I borrow something, I treat as I would my own and I return it quickly. Because that is what I would expect from others.

JoyceRowell 01-15-2012 04:44 AM

I know this feeling it happens to me all the time. You just got to put your foot down and say " Sure I will be happy to for X amount of $$." I did this a couple of times now I hear "What would you charge me to do thid?"

Just Me... 01-15-2012 04:45 AM

Not getting enough "me" time to play in my studio, and when I DO finally get in there....hubs bringing in a mountain of things for me to 'fix real quick'. Ugh!

Just Me... 01-15-2012 04:49 AM

I also have a good friend who expects me to make her bed-sized quilts just because I am a quilter and she likes quilts. i.e. She has always wanted a house quilt. I have offered to teach her how to quilt, and she just says I can make her one....really? You would let me do that? LOL

joyce888 01-15-2012 04:58 AM

Doing a sampler block from my LQS and being shorted fabric. Every month when I press and starch my fabric then try to square it up I'm short when trying to cut the squares. The owner doesnt allow for the shrinkage that happens when the fabric is steam pressed and squared up. And yes I have asked that a little more fabric is given and she always says she does but you have tell by my scant seams that it's not enough.

deedum 01-15-2012 05:05 AM

Perhaps my biggest pet peeve, a few people who know me know I have a full sewing room, plenty of machines and some knowledge, therefore they think I have my shingle out that says "alternations done here at a moments notice"
at no charge

while I do like helping people, I don't like to be taken for granted.