Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Pet Peeve (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-pet-peeve-t175445.html)

probles 01-15-2012 10:09 AM

I hate it when I am sewing the my binding on and am short by 3 inches and have to sew another length on. Poor measurement, I know.

I also hate taking out something I have sewn wrong. Sometimes I will just cut two new pieces (if I have enough fabric) and sew again rather than rip out the old.

GrannieAnnie 01-15-2012 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ShiAnnF (Post 4869794)
I was wondering what is everyone's pet peeve for quilting. My #1 pet peeve is seeing the little tiny threads lying around I cannot stand that and pick one up whenever I see one. My #2 pet peeve, and I know none of you have this problem, is ripping out what I just sewed. Someday I will learn to pay more attention to my sewing!!!!!!

I don't want to rip out everything---------but don't mind a few rips here and there.

My pet peeve would be.................thinking about a new project as I'm working on a current one. All my doing, for sure. But I still hate it.

GrannieAnnie 01-15-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by coldquilter (Post 4869966)
I seem to be really good at un-sewing. Guess practice makes perfect!!

Gotta remember that "unsewing". A specialty of mine, too.

GrannieAnnie 01-15-2012 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 4870126)
When everything looks right but it just won't go together right or won't lay flat when finished.

Something told on here-------------use a mallet of some sort to pound flat any bulky seams. Hadn't tired it yet, but I've got a project coming up that will have star points meeting in the center. Gonna have to pound some stuff flat.

GrannieAnnie 01-15-2012 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by judykay (Post 4870384)
My biggest pet peeves are:

1) laying something down and not being able to find it (scissors etc.)
2) dropping my needle and not being able to find it (biggest pet peeve of all)

I can help a bit with the dropped needle. Go to Harbor Freight. Buy one of their little magnetic tool bowls--not called that, but I've got CRS right this minute. The magnet on the tool thingy is pretty strong. If you get within an inch of the needle, it will get sucked up. It's been a lifesaver for me as I drop hand sewing needles about once a week.

breezyquilts 01-15-2012 10:42 AM

Requests for clothing alterations and mending, unsewing(I have a minimum of 6 seam rippers in the house), "misplacing" a quilt pattern which I have filed and cannot remember what I filed it under.

yippie 01-15-2012 10:49 AM

quilting pet peeve

Originally Posted by ShiAnnF (Post 4869794)
I was wondering what is everyone's pet peeve for quilting. My #1 pet peeve is seeing the little tiny threads lying around I cannot stand that and pick one up whenever I see one. My #2 pet peeve, and I know none of you have this problem, is ripping out what I just sewed. Someday I will learn to pay more attention to my sewing!!!!!!

ShiAnn reading your post made me smile. The ripping out part I laughed a little. I seem to do more UNSEWING as I call it, then I do sewing. Some how I keep sewing the wrong sides of the pieces together no matter how I mark them. HAHA. And that creates the tiny thread thing ;~)
I did read a tip for keeping the threads under control. By using a sheet from a lint bursh and folding under each end a little you can attatch it to you sewing table top. Try it it works great. Also I saw another tip for getting the little threads out of the fabric. By using either another lint brush page, or painters tape and patting your fabric where the cut stiches are it will pull them out, it is much faster then picking them out. Happy sewing yippie54

ShiAnnF 01-15-2012 11:00 AM

Yippie54, Thank you for the ideas of picking up the little threads, I will try the painters tape. That will take care of one pet peeve, I have not read where there is anything to help me with the ripping out what I sewed wrong, guess there is no help for that one, I tell myself it is good practice sewing, how much practice do I need?

CathieB 01-15-2012 11:19 AM

My pet peeve is when I'm involved in a block exchange and get a poorly made block from another quilter. Anyone can make a mistake, but to ignore an error (not correct it) and give it to another quilter is definitely a no-no in my book. I feel that you can learn from a mistake if you take the time to re-do it, but you send the message that you don't give a darn if you just ignore it.

MargeD 01-15-2012 12:21 PM

My pet peeve is my DD asking me to make baby quilts to give to her friends and then bugging me by asking when I will have them done. The second pet peeve is when I use a pair of scissors, put them down on my sewing table and then not being able to find them again, or maybe that's just "Old Timer's" disease.