Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts for cold climate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-cold-climate-t272990.html)

ghostrider 12-06-2015 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 7395703)
It doesn't matter what weight quilt when it's cold. The bed is still cold when you get in. They used to make bed warmers in the days before central heating. After the bed is warm, it's whatever is comfortable. A bed warmer looked like a frying pan with a lid and a long handle. You put warm coals or ashes in it and set it in the bed for a bit.
Hot water bottles do the same thing.

The modern version is called a husband. :o

carol45 12-06-2015 07:57 AM

I've used Quilters Dream Puff poly batting which they claim is warmer than down. It is so nice to work with and has a very nice feel when finished--high definition on the quilting. I think I would recommend that for maximum warmth, but I'm only trying my first wool batting now, so I don't know how it will compare.

Manalto 12-06-2015 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 7395729)
The modern version is called a husband. :o

No wonder the population was so low during Colonial days; the women were sleeping with frying pans instead of husbands.

MargeD 12-06-2015 10:22 AM

Having lived in a cold climate for many, many years, NH, SD, MA, I can attest that a flannel backing and one layer of Warm & Natural will be sufficient to keep her warm.

IBQUILTIN 12-06-2015 11:12 AM

Wooll is good, and the bamboo batting is good also.

SouthPStitches 12-06-2015 11:17 AM

Have never used a wool batting. What I love is Hobb's Poly Down. Its warmth without weight, reasonably priced and wears very well through frequent washings. IMHO the only time I use a cotton batting is for a summer quilt. The other three seasons it isn't warm enough for me. This being said, I'm 62, live in the northeast and still have plentiful hot flashes.

Annaquilts 12-06-2015 12:08 PM

I would use wool batting

DivaDee 12-06-2015 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Manalto (Post 7395111)
There was another thread here recently, discussing the temperature at which people keep their houses. The answers surprised me, and caused me to picture those who posted shuffling around their houses in shorts, tank tops and flip-flops, as the snow pounds against the window. As dunster said, the climate doesn't matter, the temperature of the young lady's housing does. (When I was in college we left our windows open all winter, the dorm was so overheated.) An "ordinary" quilt with cotton front and back, and cotton batting is pretty darn warm.

When I was in college, it was required that we kept the dorm windows open. I think it might have been fire code or something. If we closed one in the middle of the night, we were told about it in the very early morning.

suzanprincess 12-07-2015 04:19 AM

When I lived in a chilly mobile home in Minnesota a wool-batted comforter on my bed kept me warm and comfy. The same comforter kept me warm, but not too warm, and comfy in California the following year. I find polyester to be warm but, for me, sweaty; I cannot wear it or sleep under it, so I stick to natural fibers.

EmiliasNana 12-07-2015 07:20 AM

I grew up in WI and my grandma always gave us tied quilts with wool batts. We were never cold.