Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts for cold climate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-cold-climate-t272990.html)

sfmavis 12-05-2015 06:58 AM

Quilts for cold climate

I am making a flannel quilt for a young lady at school in Madison, Wi. should I put in two layers of warm and natural or use a different batting

Thanks for all the wonderful information posted by all!

ManiacQuilter2 12-05-2015 07:00 AM

My only concern is if you are quilting it, will your machine handle the two layers of batting?? I know that some on this board have used one layer of cotton batting and another layer of wool batting. W&N is much heavier than Hobbs cotton batting.

dunster 12-05-2015 07:21 AM

Even though she lives in a cold climate, that doesn't necessarily mean that the interior of her apartment, house, or dorm is cold. I would ask first whether she has trouble keeping warm at night. You can do that without admitting that you're making her a quilt. For warmth, I think I would use one layer of wool rather than two layers of anything else. It's light, and it breathes. Flannel is already heavy, and I'm afraid that adding two layers of W&N would make the quilt very heavy and difficult dry when it is laundered. That might not be as big an issue if you're making a lap quilt, rather than a bed quilt.

PaperPrincess 12-05-2015 09:02 AM

I would also recommend wool!

NJ Quilter 12-05-2015 09:38 AM

Depends on if you are hand or machine quilting. I've hand-quilted 2 layers of W&N and it was not easy. Doable but not an overly fun experience. For me it was for my deal Nana so the pain was worth it. Other's mileage may vary.

Prism99 12-05-2015 10:53 AM

I would not use two layers of W&N because of the weight. Some people like heavy quilts, but I don't. I would use a single layer of Hobbs wool batting -- warm but "breathes", light in weight, and gives great definition to the quilting.

Bree123 12-05-2015 11:25 AM

I wouldn't. I live in Illinois & find one layer of Warm & Natural plenty warm. If you want something thicker, I'd go with Warm & Plush. It's 50% thicker than W&N and is really the thickest thing I can get through my machine. I'm not really sure it's any warmer (maybe -- I can't tell though), but it gives really nice definition to the quilting. Both of those choices have kept me plenty warm on the coldest winter days.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, Hobb's washable wool is always a good choice. It is super thin but plenty warm.

Peckish 12-05-2015 11:27 AM

I agree with the others, wool is the way to go. One layer should suffice.

Manalto 12-05-2015 11:36 AM

There was another thread here recently, discussing the temperature at which people keep their houses. The answers surprised me, and caused me to picture those who posted shuffling around their houses in shorts, tank tops and flip-flops, as the snow pounds against the window. As dunster said, the climate doesn't matter, the temperature of the young lady's housing does. (When I was in college we left our windows open all winter, the dorm was so overheated.) An "ordinary" quilt with cotton front and back, and cotton batting is pretty darn warm.

Sandra in Minnesota 12-05-2015 11:58 AM

I always put just one layer of W&N in my quilts, and it seems nice and cozy, although I also have a sheet and light blanket on me too. I usually end up in the middle of the night, turning on the ceiling fan -----I am hot blooded.