Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts and colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-colors-t90113.html)

Happy Treadler 01-15-2011 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
Oooo, the blue and purple are MY colors!! Beautiful! Can you post a pic when you get more of it done please?

Absolutely! Right now I'm working on my daughter's quilt during the day, and the table topper at night in front of the TV. Can't wait to see how it turns out, and when it's done I'll post a pic here. :)

I'm thrilled to hear the purple kitchens are now "in". Ha! This thread has me wanting to change ALL the colors in my house.

Tweety2911 01-15-2011 11:46 AM

A quilt is to love, the colors don't have to match anyting in your home. I don't have too many laying around (since family members want them all) but the ones I have don't really match but they do keep our legs warm when we are reading or watching TV and we love them so.

bammy1 01-15-2011 11:53 AM

I just completed piecing the top to a quilt for my granddaughter (almost 12). She too picked out her own material. Her room is purple with green curtains...and odds and ends furniture like her blue desk! So...her quilt is made of Happy fabrics in orange, purple, teal, black and white....oh, and some green. I'll try to get a pic on the website asap. It looks wild...but she really likes it. Your quilt looks just fine.

Carol Wilson 01-15-2011 12:44 PM

Ignore the "Quilt Police" just do what you enjoy.

If everything "matched" in our homes how boring.

pdcakm 01-15-2011 01:07 PM

the color of quilts vs matching is the same rule about blue denim. they go with everything. besides, the design police are usually at the donut shop with the quilt police. so do what makes you feel good.

cheryl rearick 01-15-2011 02:31 PM

I think it is in personal taste and what we like. I for one have hodge podge... just the way it is. :)

dixiechunk 01-15-2011 03:06 PM

It's called stepping out of your box and I thik everyoe should do it occasionally. JMHO

fireworkslover 01-15-2011 04:09 PM

I love the purple, blue and black in your star. I think you shouldn't worry about what other's think of your color choices. If you are making items for yourself, pick colors you like. I too have a similar design wall, except I put in screw in cup hooks in the wood molding over the closet door, then tied a loop of string that hangs on the hook, another screw in cup hook goes in a piece of 1" X 2" that's in a sleeve in a big piece of flannel (wider than the closet opening). I have sleeves on two sides, so can have it two ways: long from top to bottom or long widthwise.

Alondra 01-15-2011 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I'm wondering, is it 'proper' to add quilts to your home that don't necessarily 'go' with your color scheme? I'm not talkin' total chaos, but a table runner or coasters and such. Is there some sort of rule that I should be following that I should maybe add at least a color that matches?

I'm curious (and a bit paranoid),
Trna

Never mind what anyone says. Is your house red and green? Well, you probably use red and green for Christmas, don't you, with no dire consequences... like nobody's eyes popped out of their heads, and nobody screamed "help!". Same with orange and black for Halloween, and spring colors for springtime and red and white for Valentine's Day. It surely doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities to have an area of one's home decorated in traditional seasonal colors, for goodness' sake! Don't let her intimidate you... if you like your new piece, ENJOY IT and love it! BTW... if you don't like it, you can send it to me. <G>
P.S. Is your SIL an officially certified Quilt Police, or something? If not, she'd better be careful, or she could be cited for criticizing without a license. :lol:

sewmom 01-16-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by merry
Keep your quilts, give away your SIL :)

Now that's funny! I've been tempted to do that with both of my SIL!