Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quite-tizzy-here-purple-orange-t106118.html)

happyscrappy 03-08-2011 07:06 PM

i made a log cabin quilt with mostly plums and melony oranges. dark plums/lighter plums for one square and dark melons/lighter melons for the other square. deep wine for the center. just alternated the squares. it turned out beautiful. i also wasn't too sure on that combination, but i liked it so much, i turned one of my flower gardens into purples and oranges! i do really like it.

Tropical 03-08-2011 10:34 PM

Did she say how purple a purple and how orange an orange? There are many shades of each color and a lighter version of each or of one or the other might look better to you. I hope that made sense. I understand what I meant. lol I hope you find something you can enjoy working with.

nana katie 03-08-2011 10:44 PM

You might suggest that she go to LQS and pick out the fabric she would like in her quilt. She may even pick a 3rd color other than white.

Renee110 03-09-2011 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
my grandmothers quilt is purple and orange and I love it! Those colors are fabulous together! Here is a pic of her quilt...

Limey 03-09-2011 05:23 AM

Can't remember the name of Judy Howarth's first book but she chooses a whole range of each of two colors and makes HSTs, puts them together in a four-patch and interesting patterns result.

peabee 03-09-2011 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by adyldrop
i like the idea of shades with batiks....there are some beautiful "blender" looking batiks in all colors. I'd say to look into that. With a kona cotton white...Mmmmmm sunset....

good suggestion!

jad1044 03-09-2011 06:02 AM

The pattern that comes to my mind with those two colors, is variations of those two colors and make a log cabin with the one diagonal being the one color and the other half the other color, and then lay it in a design - someone posted one very recently on this site and it was gorgeous. It was of purples and light colors and it zigzagged back and forth in a beautiful design. Wish I'd bookmarked it - and my memory for who the quilter was does not come to mind.

applique 03-09-2011 06:03 AM

The past year or so the batiks have come out with some gorgeous orange prints. I've been busy buying them. I bet they would look great with the right shades of purple. The best purple batiks were out several years back but the 1895 Hoffman batiks (blenders) have quite a bit of color choice and are often cheaper than those with patterns.

CarrieAnne 03-09-2011 06:12 AM

I love the pictures, and I think batiks would look really nice!!!!!!!!

mberhard 03-09-2011 06:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My son loves orange. I did a Trip Around The World for him.I collected shades of orange for about a year. I did not like orange at the out set. By the time I was done I had a new attitude toward orange. I did another one color quilt later, it really is a great study. Orange and purple from light to dark in a trip around the world or a bagello type quilt could be quite stunning.I could not figure out how to add a picture to this quick reply box )-: guess that's my new study.

Trip Around the World 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]123224[/ATTACH]