Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

Elainekay 12-27-2010 10:14 PM

Now that brought tears to my eyes! What a "WONDERFUL" reaction to your gift!!!

Elainekay 12-27-2010 10:16 PM

(My great neice is 16 and visited us just before Christmas. She wants to learn to sew but lives several hours from me. I showed her my quilt pile and she said she really liked the black and white one. I gave it to her, not knowing if she was just being polite or if she really liked it. Her mother called me the next day to tell me her daughter hugged and petted that quilt all the way home. She put it right on her bed and is planning to spend some time with me next summer to learn to make her own. That is the best kind of reaction for me!)

That brought tears to my eyes...What a "WONDERFUL" reaction to your gift!!!

SewExtremeSeams 12-27-2010 10:54 PM

Thank you for this topic. It has been very enlightening to say the least.

We will see what 2011 brings. Before reading all of these posts I had already determined that this would be the year to make quilts for each of my grandchildren (11), for their birthdays. The first will be for my oldest grandson who will be 16 in February. The second one will be for my 13 year old in spring. He's the one who curls his lip in disapproval, easily. But, I love him to pieces!

It's ok if they don't like them at first. I am banking on them appreciating them more with age and maturity. I like making memories for my grandchildren.

:-D

lue 12-27-2010 11:05 PM

I learned long ago to give gifts without being attached to a specific reaction. My kids taught me that when they were younger ("It's nice. (Pause) Did it come in a different color, Mom?")

This Christmas I stayed up unreasonable hours, determined to finish quilts for gifts. I had so many losses (friends dying) this year that I wanted to give something that would be a legacy gift since we never know... In any case, I made twin size quilts for my 2 year old grandson (he loved it!) & for my brother who sleeps in a hospital bed (he thought it was store-bought when his caregiver asked where I had bought it). I made a Q sized one for my daughter and son-in-law (who had been JEALOUS when I gave their 8 year old daughter her quilt for her birthday in Nov. My daughter said, "Thank you for listening and making one for me!"), and a Q for my older daughter (who loves hers). I had wanted to make lap robes for my brother and his wife but that's to come... I think I did well and I LOVED EACH OF THE QUILTS! I think I'll make one for my ex-husband as part of my practice in forgiveness. We'll see...

mary quite contrary 12-28-2010 05:03 AM

I believe sometimes the recepients don't know how to react. Especially teenagers have to maintain their "cool" and not let others know they really do love what Grandma makes for them. Sometimes guys just don't want to let their emotions out in front of others. Having said that, there are people I won't make anything for again.

puck116 12-28-2010 06:38 AM

MIL EXPECTS to get something of whatever you make,(I've done other crafts) but I've never felt she really wanted it. Her quilt is out folded on a chair, but she has never used it. At least it is out. SIL is the same way. I don't care for her because she was never nice to my mother. She got a table topper because she hinted loudly(it was on my table) that it would REALLY go with her decor. Twin nieces (13)got lap quilts this summer for Bday. Ok reaction. Younger sister was all excited, "Did you make these?" She likes crafts and I offered to teach her to quilt this summer. Her mother said no. I'm very selective about who gets a quilt and I don't care who's nose is out of joint. I put too much work into them.

dmyers 12-28-2010 07:02 AM

i made 7 quilts this year for Christmas presents ranging from lap to king size. i'd have to say most enjoyed their gift. my little sister and brothers have been getting quilts since they were in college so it wasn't their first. spoiled huh. my little neice and nephew are young, 8&1 so i wasn't expecting much. but their parents, my brother could have shown more appreciation but i guess they are use to getting quilts from me since the kids have been born. my older brother did say he loved his, he is the one i posted the redskins quilt for. the relative that appreciated the quilts the most was my grandmother who didn't get a quilt from me this year. i sent her a quilt 10 yrs ago when i had first started making quilts. she was in awe and loved all the hard work put into the quilts given. so that was thank you enough! i enjoy making quilts and no the recipiant doesn't know the time, effort or the money put into the quilt when they can just go to target/walmart and buy a blanket for $20. i'm blessed with a husband that knows the hard work, appreciates the time and supports the money i put into the quilts for others and that pleases me. he's my biggest fan and the sad thing is that i have yet to make him a quilt. i'll always love making quilts and especially for those who love to have a quilt. but i know i'll encounter someone who doesn't and that's ok with me.

puck116 12-28-2010 07:16 AM

My husband's niece got married this summer. We gave her money. Later my MIL said something like, "I suppose everyone that gets married will get quilts now." I can only imagine this has been a topic of conversation. I told her, "I've never given any niece/nephew a quilt for a wedding gift." If one asked for one as a wedding gift I would, but they would have to ask me. I do give the grand nieces/nephews a baby quilt as a christening gift. I don't make complicated ones, because I'm never sure how well it will be received. One niece immediately facebooked me after receiving her son's quilt and I see pics on facebook all the time of him laying on it. Another niece uses her son's at the beach because, "Sand doesn't stick to it." It's ok, she's using it. Others no clue.

VernaL 12-28-2010 10:33 AM

I had been worried that my granddaughter in WA) might not get her quilt, but she finally got it yesterday (after we paid a fortune to mail it so she would receive it by last Thurs. sent by USPS) It was a quilt of dachshounds and she loved it. She said that she cried, she was so in love with it. It was in memory of her dog Oscar that had to finally be put to sleep. I'm so glad she liked it. It meant a lot to me to make it for her. She is 24.

LucyInTheSky 12-28-2010 12:43 PM

Though I agree that jumping up and down would be nice from everyone, please keep in mind that people react differently to gifts. I absolutely SUCK at receiving gifts. Meaning though I am excited and appreciative, I come off as more of an "ehh, thanks" when I really don't mean it. So whenever I get a gift, I exert extra effort to be all excited and happy, when I really don't feel it (again, not because I don't like the gifts, but just because I'm strange). So keep in mind that it's possible some of them are like me and really do appreciate it, and just aren't great at showing it.