Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Reactions to receiving quilts....

I gave quilts as gifts for the first time this year (outside my kids). They were lap quilts I made while learning to FM (and I thought they were pretty). I gave to 3 SILs and 2 nieces. I was really surprised by the reactions to these quilts. First SIL, was really excited and happy (no surprise), second SIL was happy (she is quiet), 3rd SIL took tissue off of package and put bag between couch and wall. First niece (who is in art school) pulled hers out and said "that's pretty" and put it down. Second niece was overwhelmed (this was the surprise). Her husband came to me later and whispered in my ear "You have just made Annette's day. No really you have just made Annette's day." Totally different reactions from nieces. And the 3rd SIL came to me later to thank me, I said there is also doggies quilts in that bag. That got her excited, she pulled the bag out and pulled the doggie quilts out and showed her husband, never pulling out the big quilt. But it's okay, I did it because I wanted to and that's what matters. Annette's response was enough. Will they get another quilt? Well, maybe some of them.

Blog Entries
    You did a wonderful thing and it is true you never quite know what the reactions will be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    You did a wonderful thing and it is true you never quite know what the reactions will be.
    I agree. It's a good thing we love what we do, because you never know how all the work is going to be received.

Here is my reaction story: Made all 5 grandchildren quilts. My son's child was so excited to get a San Deigo chargers quilt that we could not get a clear picture of him. He is 9 years old and loves the Chargers, he hooped and hollered and jumped up and down and made his bed with it right away. My daughter's son,(who is 7 and my little "ange") and his step-siblings thought they were getting pillows because I wrapped the quilts in matching pillow cases. They didn't even bother to take them out till thier mom told them to. Then none of these 3 beautiful quilts were unfolded and admired. I did hear one of them say "oh, its a quilt inside, thanks". It will be awhile before they get another one. It is more rewarding to quilt for our vets!

Banned
    Give them all a chance...see what they do with them...you might be surprised yet again. When my MIL gave my husband his quilt many years ago, I really didn't have much to say and really wasn't impressed with it. But it came home and spent 15 years on our bed, and now is on the company bed. I grew to really love that quilt, and it is in almost as good condition today as it was the day she made it, except a little faded. Some other family members seemed thrilled but put them in closets for the rest of thier lives...and others wore them out within 5 years and threw them away...
    So you never know!

I agree that you need to wait a bit to judge the true reaction. With kids you can understand, they think toys are all they want. My son was about 18 or so and I made a quilt for his bed. One cold day we were watching TV in the Living Room and he was complaining about the cold. My suggestion - go get your quilt. He gave me that teenager are you crazy look and said, "No way, you made that for me and my bed and if I bring it out here I might not get it back!" Even funnier he, his Dad and I were the only ones that lived there so I'm not sure who was going to steal it! He never seemed to excited when he got it, but it turned into a treasure.

bj
    I guess we can only control how we feel making them and gifting them. Just try to hold on to that feeling and don't stress about the other. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I guess we can only control how we feel making them and gifting them. Just try to hold on to that feeling and don't stress about the other. :-)
    I agree. They can never take away the love and thoughts that were entwined with the quilts you made. These kind of gifts are unique - the ones you make with your hands. I believe they will eventually understand and appreciate your beautiful work.

I totally agree, give it some time.

I find there are always mixed reactions with the girls, we are such unpredictable creatures. When I got married 32 years ago, we received a handmade, full size shocking hot pink/brown quilt as a wedding gift from my husband's aunt and her daughter. I was appreciative but it was hard to warm up to. I grew to love that quilt, and used it until it was so worn out that no amount of repairing could salvage it. I managed to save the original label and a few scraps of it and still miss the darn thing.

I gave my son a fleece/flannel quilt for Christmas. I got the usual "thanks mom". I just went looking for it, I was a little chilly and wanted to see how warm it would be, found my son wrapped up in it, napping. Guess he likes it!

My great neice is 16 and visited us just before Christmas. She wants to learn to sew but lives several hours from me. I showed her my quilt pile and she said she really liked the black and white one. I gave it to her, not knowing if she was just being polite or if she really liked it. Her mother called me the next day to tell me her daughter hugged and petted that quilt all the way home. She put it right on her bed and is planning to spend some time with me next summer to learn to make her own. That is the best kind of reaction for me!

Blog Entries
    I never would expect a thrilled reaction from kids that young unless it was a toy they wanted. It doesn't mean they don't like it, though. Kids usually have so many packages to open, half the time they don't even look at what is inside. Think back, would you have been excited to get a pillowcase and quilt for Xmas? Most kids don't even get excited about new clothes.

Often times the reaction is not what you expect, and sometimes the recipient just blows you out of the water. I never though my boys could care less about what I make. Until I made a couple of quilts to give away. Then my 17 year old asked if he could have a quilt someday, one of the good ones that I hand quilt. (and believe me you should be on a fast horse when you examine my hand quilting).

My 31 year old neice got her quilt yesterday. (yellow and grey and black log cabin) I just deleted (from here) the whole reason I hated making it and why I procrastinated working on it.

I had a simple thank you and my other neices urged her to open it up. they all oood and ahaaad. I finished it just to keep family peace. So she wouldnt be slighted and ever say everyone else got one from me/ I just distanced my self from this quilt, from the work I did and gave it up. I wont ever ask how it is or if she used it. I know unlike my other quilts this one was made without love

i procrastinated and disliked

[quote=great aunt jacqui]My 31 year old neice got her quilt yesterday. (yellow and grey and black log cabin) I just deleted (from here) the whole reason I hated making it and why I procrastinated working on it.

Family peace is important so kudos to you for hanging in there and preserving it. Now it's time to do something fun and enjoyable to the MAX!

I made throw-size quilts for my dad and step-mom last year for Christmas. Poured my heart and soul into them. They have been woodcrafters for over 30 years, so my thought was-they will really appreciate these...they definitely know the value of homemade...wrong. Dad called and said "Thanks for the little blankets, they are nice". I just about had to scrape myself off the floor. A few months later, I explained why I had taken so long to choose the patterns and the fabrics that I did for each quilt and still think it fell on deaf ears!
    But, I don't let that stop me from giving them as gifts!

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes quilts become more special with time!

Banned
    Some people just don't understand the time and thought that goes into a quilt....I mailed my new GD her quilt 14 yrs. ago....Called my daughter and she told me that her husband had the quilt in the dirst with GD on it.....I was so mad!

Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    Here is my reaction story: Made all 5 grandchildren quilts. My son's child was so excited to get a San Deigo chargers quilt that we could not get a clear picture of him. He is 9 years old and loves the Chargers, he hooped and hollered and jumped up and down and made his bed with it right away. My daughter's son,(who is 7 and my little "ange") and his step-siblings thought they were getting pillows because I wrapped the quilts in matching pillow cases. They didn't even bother to take them out till thier mom told them to. Then none of these 3 beautiful quilts were unfolded and admired. I did hear one of them say "oh, its a quilt inside, thanks". It will be awhile before they get another one. It is more rewarding to quilt for our vets!
    A few years ago I made all three of my grand kids a quilt. The two older boys were playing baseball (the oldest, now in college still plays). I made the boys large quilts for their beds of baseball characters embroidered on the plain blocks which took a long time. I think they are still in their mother's closet. The little girl loves horses, so I made her the same only with all kinds of horses embroidered on the plain blocks. Well, hers is in her closet. They will have to ask for a quilt before they ever get another one from me. Had I known, I would not have put all that time and effort in those quilts. So much for kids liking quilts....lol

there you go, I would also think twice before making the less appreciative something again. You did a wonderful thing.

I did not get a good response from my MIL when I made her the quilt (that is my avatar). However, when my husband's ex-wife... (who has been his ex for about 20 years), mailed her a store-bought quilt this year, she ooooh and aaaaahed over the quilt. I guarantee she won't be getting a hand-made one from me any time in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by maryb44662
    Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    A few years ago I made all three of my grand kids a quilt. The two older boys were playing baseball (the oldest, now in college still plays). I made the boys large quilts for their beds of baseball characters embroidered on the plain blocks which took a long time. I think they are still in their mother's closet. The little girl loves horses, so I made her the same only with all kinds of horses embroidered on the plain blocks. Well, hers is in her closet. They will have to ask for a quilt before they ever get another one from me. Had I known, I would not have put all that time and effort in those quilts. So much for kids liking quilts....lol
    Do you think they are in the closet because they didn't like them or because they are not allowed to use them because they are so nice? I know people that put them away because they don't want to risk something happening to them. It's really a shame.

I gave one to my boss...with his college school colors. I even put some iron on patches so it was very personalized. I spent about 9 months on it and sent it around his birthday and waited to hear from him.

Nothing..I kept waiting..nothing. So I emailed him, "uhh did you get it?" He replies: "oh yes, it was very thoughtful". I'm like okay. He is a man of so many words and an artist and a lover of all things art, we talk all the time, sooo WTF!?

Fast forward a few weeks. He is giving an interview and I see the quilt lying on the back of his couch nicely folded. A few clips in (footage shot the next day) I saw it bundled up on the couch (like it was used). I was SO happy.

You just never know how they're gonna react. But I do know he loves it. Even if he never said so.

A few years ago I had some trouble with my car. My husband's Uncle is quite the mechanic and he agreed to look at it. Unfortunately, the car was unrepairable. It meant a lot to me that he took time out of his busy schedule to look at it. I decided to make him a Harley Davidson quilt for Christmas. I was literally late to Christmas dinner because I was still sewing the binding on.

He was sincerely touched that I made it for him. He LOVED it.

As long as I live I doubt I'll ever be more satisfied with a home for my quilt. I'm told he shows it off to anyone he has over and he bought a top of the line front load washer just so he could wash it safely.

One unexpected reaction like that will make up for any cavalier ones I ever get.

Just after I started quilting, my sister showed a real interest in ones I had made for my kids.

As I only make for those that are genuinely interested, I made her a 'basket' quilt, tied, and in country colours as she had just bought an old farmhouse. She said it was very nice and I never saw it again??? This was about 9 years ago.
    She has just bought herself a brand new car and we met up for me to see it.....and there on the back seat, faded and washed to within an inch was the very same quilt. My heart just flipped...just goes to show you never know.

PS just so mum didn't feel left out (she doesn't really like stuff 'like that') I made her one using a 'cheater panel', not so much work but kept the peace.

Keep doing what you want. My mother's reaction to a stained glass piece I made (cost almost as much as a queen quilt) disappointed me so much that I quit doing SG for a long time. DON'T let that happen to you. I've learned to not give my mother anything!!!!! Sounds cold, huh....LOL Well, it was HER decision --- said about 2 weeks later that she has so much stuff, she felt we shouldn't give gifts to adults any more. It was like a double-slap in the face.......

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast