Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

lue 12-28-2010 12:50 PM

Sounds like dear supportive hubby is next in line for a quilt??

shelrox 12-28-2010 02:59 PM

Ok I had posted about my brother truly loving his quilt he got and it came just in time for he was going out the next day to buy a new "quilt" for his bed has emailed me each day and called me each day since Christmas to tell me how much he loves his quilt and also how this is the best gift he has gotten in years. So his Birthday is Feb 6 and I have decided ok back to the machine I go and it is time to make him a lap throw for his recliner so he doesnt wear out his main one back and forth. I feel truly blessed to have a person that enjoys a gift so very much.

SewExtremeSeams 12-28-2010 03:44 PM

Shelrox, you are blessed. And, so is your brother to have such a wonderful sister! :-D

shelrox 12-28-2010 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Shelrox, you are blessed. And, so is your brother to have such a wonderful sister! :-D

thank you very much I feel blessed to have such wonderful people in my life and to have wonderful friends on this board as well. My brother is older then me and has always been there for me and with his MS getting worse anything I can do to make his life more comfortable is worth the pain and anguish I go through to give him joy. Doctor told me today looks like shoulder surgery for me. now to get the next quilt done before I become a real cut up myself. LOL

drgranny 12-28-2010 11:14 PM

I made my MIL and FIL a quilt for their 50th wedding anniversary.When next we visited them she took me to her bedroom so that I could see how it looked on their bed. When they received it she said,"What a lovely gift!" She knew the work in it cause she made silk crazy quilts. Then I made one for a co-worker who took university classes while working. When she graduated after 7 years I gave her the quilt. It was really funny cause I quilted it at work and she had seen it many times and made comments about it. At her grad party I presented her with this big box and she got this puzzled look on her face. I said when you see what it is you are going to laugh. When she opened the end of the box she knew what it was because of the colors. She yanked it out of the box and as soon as everyone was done looking she took it and put it on her bed. That was the first and second quilts I gave as gifts. My husbands grandmother didn't like me very much but she loved quilts. I made her two pillows with quilted tops that she used till the day she died. When I gave them to her she just said they were very nice.

drgranny 12-28-2010 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Though I agree that jumping up and down would be nice from everyone, please keep in mind that people react differently to gifts. I absolutely SUCK at receiving gifts. Meaning though I am excited and appreciative, I come off as more of an "ehh, thanks" when I really don't mean it. So whenever I get a gift, I exert extra effort to be all excited and happy, when I really don't feel it (again, not because I don't like the gifts, but just because I'm strange). So keep in mind that it's possible some of them are like me and really do appreciate it, and just aren't great at showing it.

I'm afraid that this sounds like me. My youngest daughter always thought that when she had something good to tell me that I should get all excited and almost jump up and down. I have had to train myself to put a little excitement into my voice just for her. She always said that I was negitive aabout everything. I wasn't!. but that is how she perceived me.

Kas 12-28-2010 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by VernaL
I had been worried that my granddaughter in WA) might not get her quilt, but she finally got it yesterday (after we paid a fortune to mail it so she would receive it by last Thurs. sent by USPS) It was a quilt of dachshounds and she loved it. She said that she cried, she was so in love with it. It was in memory of her dog Oscar that had to finally be put to sleep. I'm so glad she liked it. It meant a lot to me to make it for her. She is 24.

She doesn't live in Renton, does she? We had an Oscar weiner dog who lived down the street. He was a black and tan and I haven't seen him for a while.

BrendaK 12-28-2010 11:59 PM

I made my 7year old grandson a guilt that had trucks and cars on it (he's nuts about cars). He has it on his bed and he loves it. While I was making his father's quilt I said that I hoped that his father would like it my GS sure he would. When I asked him how he knew that his dad would like it he said, "Because you are an awsome quilt maker." (I am not but someday I will be) I really just started quilting so that meant a lot to me. His sister who is 9 said she can't wait for her quilt. Sometimes people don't quite know what to say when they receive something out of the norm. I am sure that your relatives will look at the quilts someday and remember you fondly. :) :D :D

Kas 12-29-2010 12:00 AM

Well, I made double wedding rings for my MIL and my mom and dad. My MIL got hers 5 years ago because they were the first ones to come visit. So I felt the rush to get it done for them. They loved it and it is in their living room. It is not a full sized quilt and it is bigger than a lap quilt. Well, I pieced the two at the same time, but since my M & D never made it out together, (my dad passed in 2009) I just got overwhelmed by life and never got it quilted for them. So when my mom opened it this Christmas, she just started crying. I did too, to the point it was hard to explain the whole story. It wouldn't have fit on the label, so I just left the story off. I know she loves it. I am a little worried, though. She leaves for Alabama tomorrow and she packed it in her suitcase. I hope no one steals it out of her suitcase. She might have to wait another five years for a replacement!

lalaland 12-29-2010 12:07 AM

It took me a while, but I finally came to the realization, after years of giving gifts to my DH's family, that once you give something to someone, you must let it go. They may or may not do what you think they should or should not do with it, but it's theirs now and you simply must let it go.

I have much more peace of mind as a result. And it makes me "think" before I "give". Not a bad thing, really!