Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

JANICE E. 12-26-2010 08:55 AM

I gave a lap quilt to my brothers girlfriend, I recieved a thank you card in the mail how beautiful it was. I was happy she like it, it was my first quilt ever. Second one was my daughter and I hadn't got to finish putting the binding on. She said Mom I love it and I know you worked on this for many months (QUEEN SIZE) and I happy you did this for us.
We open packages xmas eve which are the ones for my daughter and her family. As we were having desert my daughter said mom where is the quilt you made for AJ 5yr old Grandson)?? I worked late into the nights to finish his, and when finished I hide it so he wouldn't find it. Well I hide it so well I could find it. After they all left, I walked room to room trying to find it. My husband said JAN , it's in your closet on the top shelf on top of a rubbermaid container, did you think Aj was going to climb a ladder to snoop??? Next day at my daughtss house I gave him his gift, till we turned it around and held it up high and he saw the disel train and steam train, he yelled TRAINS!!!!!! he put it onthe floor and laid right on it looking at the trains on it. It was so will worth it to make that for him. My oldest brother was there with his wife and they said they were really impressed ,it's really very nice. So I can say that the quilts were a hit. Next xmas more for the rest of family.

lberna 12-26-2010 09:04 AM

I have learned over the years that it is very difficult for someone who does not do any hand work to really appreciate all the time, effort, and money that goes into making something. That is one reason why I do not like to give away my quilts. My dear husband knows what is involved.

Carron 12-26-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I gave a quilt to my mother in law. She opened the box, lifted it up slightly, and said, "oh, I love it." Then she shoved it back in the box and pushed it away. Oh well. Her loss. You would think that after 15-20 hours of labor that she could actually open it up.

hopetoquilt,
How frustrating for you and after all the thought and labor you put into that quilt.
I can identify with the feelings you must have experienced because I too went down that road. I gave a quilt to a friend and the response was "I'm not into quilts" and with that comment handed the quilt back to me.

However, that was the only time and I have and will continue to make and give away quilts as gifts or as I call them the "just because" quilts. "Just because" I want to!

bj 12-26-2010 09:10 AM

I have a question that sort of goes with this thread...I've started a quilt for my newest niece. When I saw my brother and his wife at my dad's, I mentioned that I was making a quilt for their newest granddaughter. My sil said she didn't need one, that she had already made her one. So do I finish it and send it anyway or finish it and put with my QFK quilts? I thought about sending my niece a picture of it and asking her if she wants it.

sherriequilts 12-26-2010 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by libertykm
Over 17 years ago I made a baby quilt for my nephews son. It was my very first quilt and had many mistakes in it. It was received with many thanks and I forgot about it for several years. One day his mother mentioned that her son loved that quilt and carried it around all the time. Now 17 years later we were at their house after Thanksgiving dinner and she suggested that he go get that quilt to show me. He brought it out and it was in rags. I could tell by the look on his face that it was loved for many, many years and was in that condition because of his love for it. I can't tell you how wonderful I felt seeing that quilt again.
We laughed at the condition of the quilt after all these years. This wasn't a misused quilt, it was a quilt that was loved by a young boy (now a young man). I have made quilts now for all my grandchildren and have gotten great responses from them. I only hope that in many, many years theirs looks the same as Joeys. If they do, I will know that they were loved and appreciated.

And I think you will be making Joey another quilt!

newbiequilter 12-26-2010 09:18 AM

I made two flannel Brickyard rag quilts for Christmas giving - one for my son, one for my significant other. They were not difficult to make but the flannel was expensive! My son was running his hands over the pieces and looking at the rag edges. Then he started asking questions about the construction and he kept saying "thank you mom"....My "S.O." was very surprised as he knew about my son's quilt but not about his own! My son asked if I wanted some old flannel sheets to use for quilts - you bet!!!!! It was all worth it - esp. when my daughter said "when do I get one?"

sherriequilts 12-26-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Carron

I gave a quilt to my mother in law. She opened the box, lifted it up slightly, and said, "oh, I love it." Then she shoved it back in the box and pushed it away. Oh well. Her loss. You would think that after 15-20 hours of labor that she could actually open it up.

hopetoquilt,
How frustrating for you and after all the thought and labor you put into that quilt.
I can identify with the feelings you must have experienced because I too went down that road. I gave a quilt to a friend and the response was "I'm not into quilts" and with that comment handed the quilt back to me.

However, that was the only time and I have and will continue to make and give away quilts as gifts or as I call them the "just because" quilts. "Just because" I want to!

Thank goodness she gave it back to you. I would certainly rather someone did that than keep it in the closet or junk it.
I made two quilts and took them to Sweden for friends and a relative. The cousin said "Oh it is very beautiful" and into the closet it went. The friends were so excited about theirs. It was kept in the living room and admired and used. I'd make them another in a New York minute.
The cousin just says it is too nice to be used.

sherriequilts 12-26-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Carron

hopetoquilt,

Thank goodness she gave it back to you. I would certainly rather someone did that than keep it in the closet or junk it.
I made two quilts and took them to Sweden for friends and a relative. The cousin said "Oh it is very beautiful" and into the closet it went. The friends were so excited about theirs. It was kept in the living room and admired and used. I'd make them another in a New York minute.
The cousin just says it is too nice to be used.

sherriequilts 12-26-2010 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I have a question that sort of goes with this thread...I've started a quilt for my newest niece. When I saw my brother and his wife at my dad's, I mentioned that I was making a quilt for their newest granddaughter. My sil said she didn't need one, that she had already made her one. So do I finish it and send it anyway or finish it and put with my QFK quilts? I thought about sending my niece a picture of it and asking her if she wants it.

Finish it and if the niece (how old?) sees it and likes it then give it to her. Otherwise, you are set with a gift for someone who really likes it.

newbiequilter 12-26-2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bj

"didn't NEED one"???? Sounds as tho she is afraid of being upstaged by your talents. I agree - ask your niece if she would like it. After all, it is permissible to have more than one quilt. I wish someone would make one for me!!!!