Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

jan22 12-26-2010 09:54 AM

The first gift opened was the lap quilt I gave my daughters MIL and she started crying. The last gift was the king colorwash trip for my daughter. She was very happy and when she found the label, she started crying too. My conclusion is that they were very appreciated and will enjoy them for a long time. That's what makes the heart feel good.

May in Jersey 12-26-2010 09:55 AM

Like most quilters I've received mixed reactions to my quilt gifts.
Worst was next door neighbors to the small quilts I made her new born daughter and 3 year old son, "Oh" was all she said before she closed the box. Best would be my dearest friend who keeps the quilt I made her called Mother's Love on display, and in use, in her living room, I appliqued all her grandkid's handprints on the back.

All my grandchildren have recieved at least one quilt from me, a baby or young child one and high school graduation calls for a lap quilt to take to college with them. 3 oldest DGDs are married or have their own places so bedsized scappy quilts are in the making for them with no completion date in sight right now.

Oh, one of my DIL always turned me down when I asked her if she would like a couch or bed quilt. Well, a few months ago she surprised me with a request for a bed quilt. She's looking at patterns right now and will pay for the fabrics. I love to quilt and make lots of gifts to give away to veterans and other groups but do hope to receive positive reactions from family and friends. May in Jersey

laurafet 12-26-2010 10:18 AM

I know how you feel. A few weeks ago I posted a pic of the quilt I spent months on for my mom's b'day. When I gave to her she thanked me and oohéd a little, but not quite the reaction i had hoped for. (my sibs give them trips to Paris, Cabo, etc.). When family was all there a few days later, she had it out on display, but grand kids from cross-country napping on sofa could not wrap up in it- afghans for them. Yesterday- christmas- she asked me why i didn't put a label on it- that I need to be labeling all of my beautiful work. Shock! So you never know how anyone REALLY feels. Just give with the same love you made it with!

maryb44662 12-26-2010 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by deBRAT
I have gifted many quilts over the years with a wide variety of reactions.
the most hurtful one is my youngest son does not want a quilt and so i have honored his wishes. however, this year is the year i will make one for him and put it in a box with his name on it for after i pass. just in case he might want one then.

my brother dutifully held his up for pictures at christmas some 10 or so years ago. best memory of a quilt given? my dh saying to my brother as an aside, "you are one lucky guy a LOT of work goes into one of those" dh also does not want a quilt. go figure, eh? oh and that LOT of work was plain ole 9 patches with black that seemed to take forever. it was about 7 feet long and 68" wide and considered a lap quilt :)

A few yrs back i made quilts for each member of dh's family for their birthdays (so it spread out the gift giving) as I announced this at christmas that year at my parent's house dh asked" does that include spouses of family?" I said sure! I had completely forgotten that his nephew's wifes b'day was in January and I had less than two weeks to figure out, make and ship the first b'day present that year!

i do not quilt as much anymore but i hope to begin to get back into the swing of it again. right now i'm making those criss cross potholders and they go together so fast and are so appreciated that i'm making a LOT of them to be able to just hand out when I want, PLUS use up some of my huge stash.

Have a wonderful New years, denise/deBRAT in extremely windy tampa bay florida

Hi, do you have the pattern for the criss cross potholders or where I can get the pattern? Thanks, Mary

libertykm 12-26-2010 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts

Originally Posted by libertykm
Over 17 years ago I made a baby quilt for my nephews son. It was my very first quilt and had many mistakes in it. It was received with many thanks and I forgot about it for several years. One day his mother mentioned that her son loved that quilt and carried it around all the time. Now 17 years later we were at their house after Thanksgiving dinner and she suggested that he go get that quilt to show me. He brought it out and it was in rags. I could tell by the look on his face that it was loved for many, many years and was in that condition because of his love for it. I can't tell you how wonderful I felt seeing that quilt again.
We laughed at the condition of the quilt after all these years. This wasn't a misused quilt, it was a quilt that was loved by a young boy (now a young man). I have made quilts now for all my grandchildren and have gotten great responses from them. I only hope that in many, many years theirs looks the same as Joeys. If they do, I will know that they were loved and appreciated.

And I think you will be making Joey another quilt!

Your right. I just got done making a quilt for Joey's brother wedding. They loved it as well. I'll probably make one when he gets married. AFTER COLLEGE of course.

dunster 12-26-2010 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I have a question that sort of goes with this thread...I've started a quilt for my newest niece. When I saw my brother and his wife at my dad's, I mentioned that I was making a quilt for their newest granddaughter. My sil said she didn't need one, that she had already made her one. So do I finish it and send it anyway or finish it and put with my QFK quilts? I thought about sending my niece a picture of it and asking her if she wants it.

It seems presumptuous for the grandmother to speak for her daughter and the daughter's child. I wonder what else the baby won't get because the grandmother tells someone it isn't needed? I would go ahead and send the quilt. When I was a new mother I needed all the quilts/blankets/etc. that I could get. Boy, was that a long time ago!

maryb44662 12-26-2010 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
Well I made quilts for people a long time ago. One was appreciated one was probably used for a rag. So I didn't make anymore for them . Made quilts for my nephews at my brothers request . One nephew thanked me again yesterday I gave it like 3 or 4 years ago. The other has yet to say anything about the ones I sent for him his daughter and new twin sons. So. I no longer really make quilts for anyone. I will make one for the humane society to raffle off. I stopped making for the auction. I want to see how this goes. I just want to make what I enjoy so I will make and let them pile up and let them all sort it out when I am gone. LOL

That is what I am doing, letting them stack up. I someone comes in and wants (really wants one) one, then I will give the quilt to them. I like you, will not make them for anyone special. Most younger folks are not into quilts, etc., so I will pick and choose who gets my work, otherwise, it can be fought over after I am gone. lol

bj 12-26-2010 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I have a question that sort of goes with this thread...I've started a quilt for my newest niece. When I saw my brother and his wife at my dad's, I mentioned that I was making a quilt for their newest granddaughter. My sil said she didn't need one, that she had already made her one. So do I finish it and send it anyway or finish it and put with my QFK quilts? I thought about sending my niece a picture of it and asking her if she wants it.

I'm finishing it up and sending it to her. If she doesn't want it, she can regift it to someone else. I'll never know the difference.

brushandthimble 12-26-2010 11:44 AM

Before I read all the pages, I have to say I have 2 nieces (one belongs to my sister, one to my brother), I don't think they will get another quilt from me. One was enough, as neither one has called to say thank you.

Monika 12-26-2010 12:22 PM

I always think it is interesting that you can't predict reactions. Sometimes you can, of course, but often, you are surprised. It may be sexist of me, but I always love it when the men you would least expect to like a quilt, are really moved by them. Warms your heart, you know?