Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

mary quite contrary 12-26-2010 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by bj
I have a question that sort of goes with this thread...I've started a quilt for my newest niece. When I saw my brother and his wife at my dad's, I mentioned that I was making a quilt for their newest granddaughter. My sil said she didn't need one, that she had already made her one. So do I finish it and send it anyway or finish it and put with my QFK quilts? I thought about sending my niece a picture of it and asking her if she wants it.

I'm sorry she did that. I have a SIL that doesn't appreciate hand made gifts. I don't give her anything.

vwquilting 12-26-2010 03:38 PM

You can adopt me I would love a quilt from someone else. I would appreciate the work.

I made one for my Great neice who lost her Dad 2 years ago she is now 17 She was so excited that she hugged it all day and slept with it last night. All worth the effort.

My dl I give her all kinds of things and she never responds but make sure I see her in them or the kids.
one never knows.

vwquilting 12-26-2010 03:42 PM

I know the feeling so mad at my daughter ex as he has never asked abouit my husband who was gravely ill fo the past month
I returned all of his xmas presents and he showed up for diner and again never asked about my husband. Asked to borrow his truck for wood pellets. The only reason I said yes was because of the kids. Cant burn bridges. It didin't mean I could not be bruned up.

daisyboo9 12-26-2010 03:54 PM

I really find that not everyone is worthy of receiving a quilt. I only give to those who appreciate the time and effort put into my quilts and I don't give to those that do not value homemade things. When you put so much effort into a quilt, it is hard not to take it personally when the recipient is not as excited to get it as we are when we give it, so therefore I do not set myself up for the disappointment. This year I was fortunate enough to actually sell a quilt to a friend of mine to give to her mother for christmas. I only charged her for the cost of the materials, but in the end she was so happy she ended up paying me twice the amount than was asked for. I have to say that really made my day. She called me christmas day after watching her mom open it, her mom was so thrilled she was in tears. It was worth every stitch!

jayelee 12-26-2010 04:02 PM

I gave lap quilts to the younger neices and nephews this year also Back in October the fifteen year old neice was here and stated that she didnt want one so----------- I didnt make her one Why waste my time----- At my mother's she got a present from her parents that she had to open in front of me-------- In that package was a sewing machine and gift card for fabric She had decide she didnt want a quilt I had made but one I taught her to make -----Made me cry she did

JanieW 12-26-2010 04:15 PM

A few years ago my BIL retired. I asked his wife what he would like for a retirement gift. She said a picture for their cabin as they were going to be spending a lot of time there after he retired.

At the time i kind of questioned that. My husband (his brother) suggested I make a wall hanging instead of buying a picture. So , stupidly , I did. It was all hand applique, an outdoorsy scene, lots of hours and work went into it. It had a really nice label to commemorate the occasion.

When we gave it to him, he was obviously less than impressed, totally underwhelmed. I was embarrassed by his reaction. Just when I thought I couldn't feel more diminished, he came up to me with two fancy, expensive camping chairs he had received from a friend and said, "look, Janie, this is what a retirement gift should be"

I would kill to get that wall hanging back. They have since sold the cabin and don't camp anymore so I wonder where the chairs are.

Now I am very careful about who gets my work. Besides quilting for my kids and grandkids, I get the most kick out of sewing for the preemies who never complain about their quilts. The hospital staff is always so appreciative when I show up with my donations.

Annaquilts 12-26-2010 04:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Two of my adult daughters got twin shabby chic quilts for Christmas and they both loved the quilts. I have a larger family and this will probably be the last quilts they get untill they get married and I hope to do wedding quilts for them. The colors were very light blue , creme and pink Moda Martinique. I thought the quilts looked a bit for younger girls but they loved them. The quilts are slightly different in color scheme and layout but it is not very noticable. Both of these older daughters quilt and the one behind is an excellent master quilter but they still wanted more quilts made by mama. I guess I should be happy that my children love the quilts I make. I can not get them done fast enough.

One daughter has the quilt on her lap and the other one is holding it up to admire and is hiding behind the quilt on the right.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148075[/ATTACH]

For my 21 son. He is Army National guard and loves his quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148085[/ATTACH]

SherryLea 12-26-2010 04:22 PM

If everyone knew the time and love put in to making a quilt I think they would appreciate them more. although some people just don't see it. If it's not a Iphone,xbox, or hd Tv they don't see it. I gave homemade gifts to my brothers and thier wifes small gifts but times have been hard on my family this year as my brothers all own their own tile business and housing is just not going here in Texas so I thought just something would help make them know that we still have each other. Two of my sil's love their gift and thanked me and worn their reading shawls all evening the other ask what is it? When I told her she put it in her bag and never said a word. But I still felt good about it and thought to my self it's a true gift if given from the heart and not for the praise. The quilts you all gave are filled with love and believe me their is one who knows that.

acjacques 12-26-2010 04:23 PM

Last October I asked my brother and sister-in-law if they'd want a handmade quilt. My brother's response: "We already have too many blankets". So I didn't bother to make him one. I have given them a wall hanging last year and my sister-in-law said "This is so pretty, you should make some more and sell them", which I said, "I make quilts for loved ones, not to sell them". I haven't seen the wall hanging anywhere in their house.
I have given quilts to in-laws, cousins and friends, they use them a lot, so I'm very pleased.
I made one for DH, as soon as we have remodeled the bedroom, we will have it on our bed, that's for sure.

bjdemir 12-26-2010 04:23 PM

My daughter and hubby loved the quilt I made for them. I am not sure if they liked the back or the front the best, but were happy they could use it both ways. I didn't get granddaughters done, but made her a nightgown with long bloomer and she was ready for bed by 6:30 pm. Came down with them on to show them off! Guess she like them!