Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

gramto4 12-26-2010 12:23 PM

DGS, 7, liked his spiderman scrappy quilt & pillowcase and has been sleeping with it here while visiting.

My new friend (I sort of adopted her) struggles with health and finance issues. I noticed she didn't have a bedspread on her bed. She is appreciative of help but to make it easier to accept I made her a scrappy quilt and pillow cases. She was so appreciative and loved it because she knows the time involved. She does lovely knitting and had made potholders and a beautiful scarf for me. Made me feel good.

I made a large crib size quilt for my GD's second birhtday. She immediately flopped down on it and snuggled in it. I think she likes it!!! Also made a twin size for when she gets into a larger bed.

QuiltinginSD 12-26-2010 12:53 PM

I made two quilts this year and got so-so reactions for both of them. My sister and my niece both got quilts from me this year. My niece opened it and smiled halfway and said that it might match her room once it's painted. She wasn't overly excited but she wasn't rude, either. I gave my sister a large D9P quilt in the 3 colors she told me when I asked her months ago what 3 colors she would want to us to decorate her living room. (Burgundy, cream & black) She didn't even unfold the quilt to see what it looked like. I've learned my lesson about sewing for those who don't appreciate it!

catrancher 12-26-2010 01:31 PM

I think you have the right attitude about it. People feel differently about traditional and home-made items. Some will appreciate the effort and love the item even if they really don't like the color or the style because they love the fact that it came from your heart. Others just won't like it no matter what you do because they don't really understand the emotion that goes into such a gift. On the other hand, they may "warm up" (pun intended) to the quilt once they've had it around for a while and used it. Quilters can't be thin-skinned about gifts given because people are so different in their tastes and desires. I think it's important to use the information you gain from these experiences, however, before deciding to invest time, effort, money, and heart into another home-made gift for the same person. Most of my family is gone--I'm the youngest in my family. I just wish I had learned to quilt when I was younger because I so wish I could give a quilt to my mother and my brother. Would they have liked it? I'll never know. But I sure would have liked the chance to find out. My new DIL seems to love all the hand-made things I give her, no matter how funky. She's a treasure, for sure.

Sing 12-26-2010 01:43 PM

Quilts are like magic spells or prayers. I would not make one for someone who did not want one, but whether it is appreciated or not, love sent out is never misplaced... even if the kids would prefer toys. :)

Mamagus 12-26-2010 01:48 PM

last year I made two quilts, for my two eldest nephews (10 and 8). They seemed to really like them, but yesterday when we visited their homes, both boys in talking about their favorite gifts this year, started their story with, "Well last year my favorite gift was the quilt you made..." The 8 year old refused to let his mom take his off his bed and put his Christmas bedcover on! And when he was opening his gift this year he said, "I wonder what Aunt Lori made this year?" Justin Beiber was a hit but I think he was disappointed it wasn't handmade!

May in Jersey 12-26-2010 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
Before I read all the pages, I have to say I have 2 nieces (one belongs to my sister, one to my brother), I don't think they will get another quilt from me. One was enough, as neither one has called to say thank you.

Same here for one of my nephew's daugbter's. A few years ago I sent her a cute quilt for her new baby girl thinking a single mother would appreciate extended family welcoming her baby into the family. Not a single word from her. She just had another baby but no quilt from me this time. May in Jersey

letsquilt 12-26-2010 02:07 PM

I didnt make a quilt this year for my 11 year old GS, so while I was there he came out of his room with an arm load of t-shirts and handed to me.I said what are thes?He said those are for my quilt your going to make me.LOL, He loves for me to make him quilts.That really warms my heart.

seweasy 12-26-2010 02:11 PM

Hi! I got the response that I expected! I made a storybook quilt for my sister's grandson(6mos old) and I had to ask the mother(she's the DIL) if I could show it to the other members of the family. I'm the only quilter in the family though my mother and sister did and do sew some. I did have to ask "permission" to show it off! The baby's mother later said how much she appreciated the quilt but I believe her like I believe the moon's made of cheese!
I made the quilt because I wanted to, knowing that this was the response I would get. It was fun working on it, I learned how to do the flanged binding and did outline free motion quilting around the figures in the blocks. I feel like it was more about learning new techniques than giving a gift.
I have to agree that charity quilting is alot more rewarding. I sew for Threads of Love, making items that can be used by premature infants. I'll make quilts for my grandchildren because my daughter does understand, the rest of the family will get something purchased. What's so funny, its actually cheaper to be buy something than to make a quilt, considering everything involved.
So going to make an effort to make this a Merry Christmas and move on! Maybe 2011 will be better! Chris

newbiequilter 12-26-2010 02:12 PM

Two years ago I came home from a retreat all fired up about the "French Roses" pattern. I showed it to my oldest granddaughter (then 15) and announced I would make her one! She was totally underwhelmed! Until I mentioned that she could pick out the fabric! WOW -cool, great! And we were off and running. Now I have made 3 of them and each GD picked out her own fabrics and helped with the cutting and construction. All in all, very nice experiences.

catmcclure 12-26-2010 03:17 PM

My daughter is now 50 and a prize winning quilter. At the age of 19 my mother gave her a lone star quilt that my grandmother had made. I had wanted that quilt since I was 6 years old, but it bypassed me. However, the last time I saw the quilt my 19 year old daughter had it in the trunk of her car with an old battery sitting on top of it. In the 31 years since then her attitude has changed regarding quilts and quilting. I'd say that is true of a lot of young people that you give a quilt to now.