Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

the real misfit 12-26-2010 04:36 PM

dont feel bad i have 3 neices and made quilts for each one of them it took me a couple of years to get the 3rd neices quilt done due to it was a strip quilt and had many peices i had made sure i finished it in time for her birthday as a joke i had wrapped it up in a potatoechip box and handed it to her asking her if she would share the bags of chips with everyone when she opened the box she saw tissue paper and asked whats this i told her she needed t move the paper and look under there was the quilt that took me so long to make because of perfection and all the hand quilting when she took it out of the box she opened it up looked at it and proceeded to look at me and say finally . you finally got around to making me a quilt she then shoved it back into the box and set it down on the floor and walked away i was in shock not only by hearing this from her she is not a little girl either 16 to be exact and i thought it was so special of a quilt because i had entered it in to the local fair and the quilt took first place for a peiced quilt and a best of the best ribbon i thought it was a very special thing that i even put the ribbons the quilt won in with the quilt boy talk about a smack in the face so i do know how you feel my dear all the work time ,designing and choosing the perfect colors and patterns for a special present to someone who means so much in your life i am sorry

adrianlee 12-26-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I did not get a good response from my MIL when I made her the quilt (that is my avatar). However, when my husband's ex-wife... (who has been his ex for about 20 years), mailed her a store-bought quilt this year, she ooooh and aaaaahed over the quilt. I guarantee she won't be getting a hand-made one from me any time in the future!

I would ask hubby, 'why aren't you sticking up for the quilt I made for your mother?' I would not let the situation pass.

sherneff44 12-26-2010 04:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I just made lap quilts for my cousin's 3 Grandchildren ages, 2,7 & 8. here is a picture of them after they got them...I also got a phone call from them and they all told me they love them.
my cousin told me that little miss Bella Boo drags hers with her everywhere and the boys love to wrap up in them when they are watching tv.

brendadawg 12-26-2010 04:52 PM

I always read topics like this with interest, since it is my goal to make each of my immediate family members a quilt before I leave this world. I've finished 4, and it seems that they liked them. I just hope everyone will appreciate them; but at least I will have had the pleasure of making them and gifting them. It's their loss if they toss them away. I told my brothers if they don't like them, please return them and tell me what they would like. Might as well have something they'll use!

Tudey 12-26-2010 04:53 PM

I am flabbergasted by some of the reactions to receiving quilts that I have seen on here. I have only encountered ONE such reaction in my circle of family and friends. My older sister was taking her final vows as a Benedictine nun about 2 years ago. I asked her if she'd like me to make her a quilt and she was like "no that's ok" which floored me. My younger sister called her and I don't know what the conversation was, but Older sister called back and said she would love to have something I made. Everyone else in the family has been thrilled with the quilts I have made for them---even the 18 yr old who got one as a graduation present this last May. I made it for his dorm in college and backed it in flannel since he would be in Northern Texas. His thank you note said "It will keep my frail little body warm in the dead of winter" I laughed and laughed (He is just a skinny little TX boy!) He took it away to his room and I thought he didn't like it, but as it turned out, he made everyone go to his room to see it!
This past weekend, I gave my friends' 5 children (ages 2-8) each 2 pillowcases and the girls got a purse and the one boy got a colored pencil case that rolls up, all of which I made and they were delighted. By their reaction, you'da thought I gave them an Xbox!
I am grateful to have family and friends that appreciate this talent God gave me!

Ramona Byrd 12-26-2010 05:06 PM

when she took it out of the box she opened it up looked at it and proceeded to look at me and say finally . you finally got around to making me a quilt she then shoved it back into the box and set it down on the floor and walked away
---------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I would have been tempted to pick it up and stick it back in my own stuff and take it home. NO one in my family would be allowed to do something like that. And should any of my kids have ever done that they would have been taken to a room with a closed door and given some good advice by me or DH.

Lucy90 12-26-2010 05:28 PM

I have made quilts for close family members and they were very appreciative. I am very skeptical on making quilts for others. I have two friends I want to make a quilt for but I know they would appreciate them. I have heard from so many people that when they give a quilt it is not appreciated. Also there are people that will not give a quilt away ever again. Some say like others when I die kids can give them away. I hope to be in heaven and hoping people will like them once I'm gone.

Izaquilter 12-26-2010 05:36 PM

I guess it happens to all of us at one time or another. We want to share our love by making a quilt & i've come to the conclusion that maybe we 'love' more than they do. Maybe we care for that person more than they care for us. If they really cared, they would know & appreciate what we, you or any of us put in the making of the quilt. I use to make quilts & give them as Christmas presents but several of them fell into the hands that didn't care & I just don't do it anymore. I call myself a quilter & a quilt collector! I quilt & I keep what I make now! No one appreciates them near as much as we do & IF they do I figure let them fight over them when I die! I probably have about 20 quilts around the house that I've made & I probably have 20 more I want to make. Most of my friends that know me know that it is my love & passion. But those that don't take the time always ask the same question "how many quilts do you need" I say "All of them"

VernaL 12-26-2010 05:38 PM

I made my 24 yr old granddaughter a dachhound quilt for Christmas. Others that know her told me that she would love it. Today is Sunday and I haven't heard a thing from her. I called her yesterday to ask if she had received her pkg., but have had no response. She used to have a dachhound and told me she missed him. At this point, I don't know what to think. I really put my heart into it. Maybe she is out of town.

Gina_D 12-26-2010 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by bj

Originally Posted by bj
I have a question that sort of goes with this thread...I've started a quilt for my newest niece. When I saw my brother and his wife at my dad's, I mentioned that I was making a quilt for their newest granddaughter. My sil said she didn't need one, that she had already made her one. So do I finish it and send it anyway or finish it and put with my QFK quilts? I thought about sending my niece a picture of it and asking her if she wants it.

I'm finishing it up and sending it to her. If she doesn't want it, she can regift it to someone else. I'll never know the difference.

That's the spirit! The gift is for the grandchild, not her. Be sure to put a label on it too.