Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

VernaL 12-26-2010 09:22 PM

I finally heard from my 24 yr old granddaughter in WA. I have made her a dachhound quilt. She hasn't got her pkg yet. So I feel much better. I sure hope she likes it.

Farm Quilter 12-26-2010 11:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I made 2 wall hangings and one quilt for my DH's family this year for Christmas. His oldest daughter married in June and a week later his parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary, so I made autograph quilts for both of them. We drew his younger sister's name for gift giving and I made her quilt to commemorate our trip to Hawaii last February. They were all pleased with their gifts :-D I'd like to make one for a dear friend, but her mother had one made for her (lap size) and she thinks it's a waste :-( so no quilt for her.

Wedding autograph quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148261[/ATTACH]

50th Anniversary autograph quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148262[/ATTACH]

Hawaiian Dreams
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148263[/ATTACH]

Aussie Quilter 12-26-2010 11:27 PM

I made my sister's 3 year old granddaughter a throw quilt for Xmas with a pink Flower Fairy panel in the centre. Gave it to my sister last week to give to her. Got an email back on Xmas Day to say,

" Emerson promptly sat down with it after seeing it was a pink fairy, and wrapped it round herself. Then got out the humongous bean bag, pulled the quilt over her, and said she was staying there for the day!"

Think that is one quilt that will be loved to death.

irma tapia 12-26-2010 11:29 PM

I gave three quilts to granddaughters for Christmas ages ranging from 2 to 13.....the 2 yr old was so over joyed and happy with her quilt, the other 2 yr old was more happy with the pillow pet we gave her and the 13 yr old was so happy, she loves her quilt!!!!!! sure makes me happy!! more quilts to make, we have 15 grandchildren!!!! Life is good. Happy New Year everyone!!!! :lol:

hulahoop1 12-27-2010 12:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My first quilt was a wedding quilt for my niece. Her response was a tepid thank you and she didn't even take it out of the box. There's a lot of negative history there and I was trying to rebuild the relationship. It didn't work. A waste of time and effort and a disappointment.

On the other hand, my MIL was overwhelmed with hers for Christmas and a coworker with hers when she retired. Below is my sons' reaction to theirs. I am thankful my quilting efforts are appreciated by those who matter to me.

Devan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148267[/ATTACH]

Bryan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148268[/ATTACH]

moonrise 12-27-2010 02:35 AM

I got mixed reactions, too. Some reactions were expected; others were surprising. :?

DH's mother loved her quilt, but I figured she would. DH's sister's family loved the tablerunner & potholder set we made for them. I was pleasantly surprised with her enthusiastic reaction. :) DH's brother's family didn't say a word about their tablerunner/potholder set. They just unwrapped it and set it aside. No surprise there. (They never bring gifts for anyone else, not even a simple card. They come in, open their gifts, and leave. Honestly, it gets OLD, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

My mother and sister said they liked their quilts (they requested them), but I got the impression they were just being polite. Keep in mind that they also wanted to discard all the handmade quilts and afghans that my grandmother (Momma's mother) made, not caring a thing about them. Maybe I'll be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if my quilts are treated like "any old blanket" ... or worse ... sold at a yard sale. It's happened before, with other handmade items. :evil: So, yeah, I'm disappointed in their reactions, but not surprised.

My sister's son didn't say much when he opened his quilt, but told me the next day that he slept with it, and that it was very warm. Her step-son and step-daughter chimed in and said they slept with theirs, too. That made me happy. :)

My dad's reaction surprised me. I give him something handmade every year, and normally he's thrilled with it. This year, he unwrapped the quilt, which I had folded inside out. He commented that the back was pretty, thinking it was the front. He realized that he needed to unfold it, and saw all the RV's and little camping scenes on it. He loves camping, and the hard-to-find camping fabric costs a small fortune! But all he really said was that I have too much time on my hands, and put the quilt back into the packaging. I asked him a little while later if he liked it, and he said he did, but didn't act very enthusiastic about it. Not sure what to think.

Now that most of my family has a quilt from me, I think I'll concentrate more on charity quilts instead of making additional quilts for less-than-appreciative family members.

DH's mother and sister are on the "quilt-worthy" list, though. :)

lalaland 12-27-2010 03:03 AM

This has been the most interesting thread! The only family members my DH and I exchange gifts with are my brother and his wife, my DH's family lives too far away so we just make phone calls and visit every year. My SIL is a master quilter but doesn't do small things so if I do table runners or toppers or placemats, I usually let her pick the ones she wants. I did make a quilt for a friend once and she loved it and I made a quilted jacket for another friend and she still talks about how wonderful it is so at least I'm 2 for 2! About 90% of my quilting is donated to charities.

donac 12-27-2010 03:35 AM

I gave my mil and fil one two years ago. I have only seen on her bed once. She had the rattiest comforter on her bed on Christmas Day and mine was no where to be seen.

deBRAT 12-27-2010 04:52 AM

Mary and others,

i used this youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

it appears to be based on this coaster design
http://www.allsorts.typepad.com/alls...ross_coas.html

I guess the 10" size is for those precut fabric packs out now. I used 9 1/2" because i have a cutting square that big and am too lazy to use a larger square to cut the 10" size. if i could find a 9" one i'd use that instead. my mil loved her everyday ones and my sil loved hers too. along with her vanilla frappe fingerless mitts i made her.

and while we are on potholders here is a link to 28+ so you will have it all in one place to check out in the future.
http://tipnut.com/potholder-patterns/

hope this helps! now i'm off to pack for our week away to northern florida. alas, that is COLDER for us and i'm wondering how i will get by with just two pairs of long pants.

have a marvelous day all
denise/deBRAT in tampa bay florida

ktmo815 12-27-2010 05:42 AM

I made a quilt for my daughter & her husband for Christmas this year. She had picked out the pattern & fabric last CHristmas & had seen the quilt top finished. When they opened it, all I got was "Thanks mom. Now we'll have to rethink the colors we want in our bedroom" I was hurt by her reaction. After reading these posts, I feel better.